Sunday, March 14, 2010

Eight, is that possible?!?


So, Isaac turned 8 this month. Impossible! It seems like just yesterday he was an itty bitty baby. Okay, maybe that's a stretch since he weighed in at 10 pounds, 6 ounces TEN days early. But, it does seem like yesterday he was a newborn. I just have to say, I love that boy. He is so sweet and tender. He frequently asks me how he can help me. Not to mention, his laugh is contagious. I can't wait to see what God is going to do in and through his precious little life.

Here he is on the morning of his birthday.

Now, I have to confess that I really enjoy birthday parties. I enjoy planning them and just between you and I, if I could have a small eccentric business, it would definitely involve children's parties. I try very hard to use a lot of imagination and a very little bit of money when we do parties. I use coupons and ingenuity and try hard to keep the costs minimal.

Isaac's party this year ended up being one of my favorites so far. He and I decided on the theme of time travel a couple of months ago and that evolved into a Magic Treehouse theme. It was so fun and the kids totally got into it. I was glad that they did, because I was nervous that they would think it was a little hokey.

Ryan crafted a "treehouse" in the garage from a cardboard box and the kids climbed into it over and over. Each time they did, the lights went out and a fan and strobe light went on. Then the treehouse "landed" in a new time period. I would read a rhyme to give them clues about where they had landed and then we would head to different parts of the house or yard to do activities in that place. The kids had a blast.

Here are some photos of the day:

The "Magic Tree House"

In prehistoric times, they hunted, gathered, and opened "dinosaur eggs."



Here they are, decoding hieroglyphics in Egypt.

Here are the pharaohs that they mummified.

We went to 6 different places, but our last stop was in Medieval times where the boys practiced their sword fighting and archery before Sir Isaac opened gifts and ate cake and ice cream.


The boys enjoyed wearing the medals they won in Ancient Greece.


4 comments:

Pam said...

What a cool party idea! You definitely should go into that business. Happy Birthday, Issac!

Beth said...

Now that's a great party idea!!

Enjoying Life Together said...

Hey, I recognize one of those mummies! :) Brock had a great time. Maybe you should write a book about how to throw an awesome birthday party on a small budget. You could do that in your spare time! haha

Tommy and Sandra Boone said...

Well, since there are 7 of you now, do you know what "I" thought when I saw the title, "Eight, is that possible?"

And no!! It does not seem like Issac could possibly be eight years old!! You guys are amazing with your party themes!!

I just spent time reading through your blog and you guys are one busy family!! I know more how to pray for you all!

Much love, many hugs, and boo-koodles of prayers from Mama Boone