Thursday, December 16, 2010

On the Fourth Day of Christmas

Over the last few years, God has given us an increasing burden for loving our neighbors. We have been very convicted of our selfishness when it comes to pulling in the garage, hitting the button to close the door, and then heading into our house for some peace and quiet. We were content to live our lives, completely disinterested in what might be happening in the lives of those whom God had placed a few yards away.

When our next door neighbors first moved in, I have to confess I was downright cold hearted toward them. There were four children in the family and none of them had the same last name, much less first names that I could pronounce or spell. I am ashamed to admit this, but I was concerned about what sort of influence they would have on my children. What I should have worried about was how God would have us to serve them well.

My husband has led our family well in how we should treat others in this circumstance. He has set an excellent example of "loving your neighbor" as he has consistently sought opportunities to show kindness. This spring, when we were having a "perfectly planned" birthday party for my son, and they came to the door, I was trying to figure out how to get them to go home. Instead Ryan invited them in and then sent them home with the leftovers.

About 6 months ago, the husband moved to NY so that he could find work that had eluded him here. He has come back to visit a few times, but for the most part the Mama has been on her own. So, this summer, when their mower broke, Ryan took over the mowing of their lawn. While I was busy wondering how long that would take each week, he had all the kids weeding their flower beds.

The list of opportunities goes on and on. A few Sundays ago, we helped the oldest finish a Japan research project because her printer was out of ink. Last week, it was birthday party invitations that needed printing. Yesterday, it was a band-aid needed from a bike fall.

These neighbors have brought me to a realization of just how self-centered I am. I wish I could say that sacrificing my agenda for opportunities to serve them comes easily to me, but it doesn't. Yet. I pray that it will become more and more of my DNA. I pray that I get to the point that I am never comfortable putting my to-do list above relationships. I can say, that it has gotten easier. Instead of getting frustrated with the multiple doorbell ringings each day, I'm learning to be thankful for the opportunities to serve. Thankful that these girls trust me enough to come and ring my doorbell. Thankful that we've been able to share our pew at church with them for the last 3 weeks. Thankful that God is refining me with opportunities to die to myself.

We decided that we wanted to do something for our neighbors this year for Christmas. So, we're doing the 12 days of Christmas. I am sure that they probably suspect it's us. But, our kids are still having a blast dropping a gift and then ringing and running each night. They're telling us that they think it's an angel bringing the goodies. And from the stories the neighbors are telling our kids, they're having a good time finding the gifts. I pray that the Mama is feeling encouraged by these little tokens and that it will give me even more opportunities to share kindness and hope with her.


Tonight's drop-off:
4 calling birds are difficult to find,
but candy and a show went with our rhyme.



No comments: