Sunday, February 13, 2011

Confessions of a Wannabe

I don't consider myself to be a high maintenance woman. I own a blow dryer, but I rarely use it. My limited cosmetic bag contents come from Walmart, purchased with coupons. I haven't paid for a manicure in five years and I HATE to spend money on getting my hair cut. (But for those of you who have seen my consistent ponytail bush these last few weeks, I do have an appointment to get my "wig busted" this week.) Most of my clothes are purchased at deeply discounted prices and that's the way I like it. It's not that I don't love myself or that I don't want to look presentable, it's just that I prefer to spend my time and money on other things.
But, even with my low maintenance style, I'll confess that there is one thing that I'm kind of dreading about our move. I am sure it won't be a big deal when I get there, and it makes me feel really worldly that I even care, but I'm being honest here. So, I'll tell you, I am really dreading the whole skirt thing. In my new home, I will wear skirts ALL of the time. All of the time as in, any time I leave my house or anytime I have a house helper or anytime there is a guest in my house. I mean all the time, as in, I have been advised to keep a wrapper by the front door if I'm not wearing a skirt so that if someone knocks, I can quickly slip it on before opening the door. And, I'm not talking about the millions of trendy knee length skirts that I can currently find at places like the Gap and H&M. I'm talking mid-calf to ankle length skirts, every day, for as long as I live there. And, often, I get to wear a matching head covering to go with it. Wow, gives a whole new slant to the concept of accessories.
So, Ryan and I talked about it, and we decided that, while I would probably have the bulk of my skirts made once we arrived in West Africa, I should go ahead and purchase a few here. This was for a couple of reasons, the first is simply because I want to arrive with at least a few days worth of clothing to get me through until we can get settled and establish a more appropriate wardrobe. Secondly, and I know this sounds really carnal, but we thought it just might be good for me to have a few pieces that made me feel comfortable and "normal," although, it won't be normal there, so that's really probably an idiotic thought. But, I'm thinking that having a favorite khaki with an Eddie Bauer tag in it might be the thing that keeps me from heading over the edge on a particularly tough transition day. But, I'm not sure because frankly, I've never done this before.
The last few weeks, I have been keeping my eyes peeled for some lovely ankle length skirts to add to my wardrobe. Um, friends, have you tried to find any ankle length skirts lately? They aren't out there or at least not at a price that I want to pay. I mean J Jill has a cute one for $89. Or there was the pretty linen one I found at the Eddie Bauer outlet for $45, which would require a slip. A SLIP, in West Africa. No, not on my watch. Seriously, I don't own a slip, and there is a reason for that. I hate them.
So, I have a favor to ask you. If you're out shopping in the next few months, and you run into a good deal on a bunch of pretty long skirts that don't require slips, let me know. Because, I'm definitely in the market for some.
I am sure that right now, if any of my friends who already serve there are reading this, they are laughing at me. And I understand that in 5 years, I will probably laugh at some newbie who is working toward this transition. I know that giving up my jeans is a small price to pay for this amazing opportunity to advance the gospel. That's why I'm completely willing to do it. But I'll be honest, personally, I'm struggling a little bit. I think that most of my friends would too, if they were being honest about it.
I'll admit, I have tried to find the silver lining in this whole thing. Like, I don't think I'll be as tempted to overspend on the wardrobe. I won't have to worry as much about battling the whole modesty thing with my girls through the teenage years (yes, they will be wearing skirts too!) I won't have to put too much thought into what to wear when I go out. And, I'm guessing skirts are much cooler than boot cut jeans on a warm West African afternoon. So, on that happy note, I'll close.

6 comments:

Jessica said...

Oh, the African dresses are SO comfortable! And you're so much less self-conscious about your body when your clothing is loose and flowy. :) Of course, I only spent 2 weeks visiting once, so it's not like I have experience with a lifetime of skirt wearing. But I was 8 months pregnant, and loved it for my short trip.

The Roberts Eight said...

just thought i would leave a comment since i enjoy reading your blog. i think jamie singleton told us about you guys since you were at sebts and adopted from ethiopia. we were at sebts but are now serving with samaritans purse in nairobi kenya and also adopting a baby from ethiopia. skirts aren't too bad. although i dont have to wear them. they are definitely much cooler than pants! and there are definitely some cool african skirts you can get made! looking forward to following you on your journey to west africa! candace

Aubrey said...

As it gets warmer, keep an eye out at old navy. I usually get a couple there every year and they arent bad for the price. They are also lined and line dry well.

Beth said...

this may be weird but something to consider. When I wear skirts for any length of time ( a whole day) , especially on warm days, the insides of my legs get EXTREMELY chapped, as in I can hardly walk the next day. I'm thinking that it is because I rarely wear skirts and my skin isn't toughened up. Anyone else have that happen? But you might want to get some spandex shorts to wear underneath the skirts if that should happen to you, and start getting used to wearing skirts here before you HAVE to wear them all the time. Just a thought.

Casey Chappell said...

I chuckled through your whole post. As one who grew up wearing skirts for a period of time.... :) I can sympathize but at the same time I've honestly had times I wished I could go back to wearing just skirts and keeping it simple and feminine. But I hear you!!!

I think having several american name brand ones is a must!! That's so cool that you know yourself enough to even think about some of the struggles you will be having with yourself... and be able to do some things on this end of it to help with that.

I'll keep my eyes open!!

Love you.

Karrie said...

Hey christy! I have had the same thoughts too! I actually just ordered 4 long dresses from target on clearance to wear on my trip this week. Check out target clearance online. Hopefully they will work out! I will let u know!