Sunday, May 22, 2011

Alone Time

Since my last post, Ryan and I have had the opportunity to take not one, but two trips together. They were about as different as two trips could be. The first, was a three day trip to San Antonio, TX. Other than some flight delays, it was a great time. I had dreamed of taking Ryan there for years. My first airplane ride ever was when I attended the National Acteens Conference in San Antonio as a 15 year old. I thought it was the most romantic city ever and I just knew that when I got married, I would someday bring my husband there. So, when we had flight vouchers that needed to be used, I knew it was now or never.

We had a great time, it really is a fabulous city and we enjoyed exploring. We decided not to get a rental car and just to do what we could on foot. We found all sorts of beautiful places that we might have missed had we been driving to outlet malls or amusement parks. It was a good decision. It's one of those amazing places that photos can't do justice to, but here are some of our attempts to capture the beauty.

This picture was taken on the Riverwalk, where we ate most of our meals.
A picture of one of the riverboats, which we rode on one evening. This one was going through a theatre in the old part of the city, we were standing on the side where the spectators sit looking across at the stage.
This was taken in the oldest cathedral in TX, this is where the remains of Davy Crockett and Jim Bowie lie.
Our hotel, the historic St. Anthony, where John Wayne stayed when filming "The Alamo"
The famous Alamo, of which this city is incredibly proud!

Our second trip came just one day after the first. After flying back into Lexington, we grabbed the kids, headed back to NC, dropped them with the other grandparents, and took off for Richmond, VA. There, we had 3 days of meetings for our new job. They gave us tons of information and it was a bit like drinking from a fire hose. It was great to meet many of the folks we'll be training with for 8 weeks beginning in late July. We are more excited than ever about the work that God has for us in West Africa.

One of the most "oh my goodness this is really happening" moments for me was when we opened up our welcome packet and found these babies...

I guess it's official!

3 comments:

Oh Dear said...

You are an IMB missionary!!!! I used to read about IMB missionaries (called by a different name) on a pink shag rug in a musty basement in a Baptist Church in Paris, KY! Now, other little girls will do the same thing and God will speak to their precious hearts and say, "One day..."

Anonymous said...

I thought I had seen you yesterday at Faith. I thought I must have been seeing things:) So glad to be able to keep up with your adventures online!

Melisa said...

I thought the same thing as Melanie...I remember as I child reading about and learning the stories of the Foreign Mission Board missionaries and being in awe...thinking, "Maybe one of these days, God will..." and now you are one of the ones they will be praying for and reading about...awesomely awesome God we serve...