Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Snickerdoodles

Let me tell you, I am NOT a dog lover. I would never want one to be mistreated, but I have never wanted to actually own one. Of course, the kids have been asking for years when we could get one. I always told them they are welcome to get one as soon as they have their own place. I've lovingly explained to them that there are already a blue million people who need me and adding a dog is out of the question.

Then, we decided to move to Africa. Everyone told us that a dog is an asset for lots of reasons. My kids needed to something to look forward to in those months leading up to the plane. So, we promised them a dog. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Then we got here. And life was even more overwhelming than ever. I kept putting the dog thing off. I came up with lots of excuses each time they'd ask. There was always a really good reason why it would be better to wait just a little longer.

This past weekend, a puppy made it's way on to our compound. Fortunately, it got scared and ran off. Then, on Monday, he returned and the kids managed to track him all afternoon. They kept asking me if we could keep him. I kept telling them that they would have to ask daddy when he came home (thinking that Daddy would say, "No, we're not taking a stray puppy, we'll wait until we can find the right dog for us.) Daddy failed me. He fell for the puppy. My husband is such a sucker for the weak ones!

Anyway, next thing I know Ryan was bathing him, pulling no less than 50 ticks off, scrounging for scraps to feed him, and getting the number of a vet to visit the next morning. The kids quickly chose a name for him, "Snickerdoodles." I knew I was outvoted. I told them that we could keep the puppy only if the vet visit went well.

Ryan and the 4 oldest marched off to the vet with him yesterday and he passed with flying colors. So, we're now the proud owners of and approximately 8 week old "bush puppy." He's currently crying in the laundry room, where we've been making him sleep until we get a kennel.

They came home with various descriptions of the reactions they got on the way to the vet. Apparently, the guy they went to see is way back in the market area. So, after they parked, they walked a good way with the puppy through the streets. They were stopped over and over by people wanting to know what they were going to do with him. They were assured by many folks that they had a better dog they could sell them. Ryan said that after having the same basic conversation over and over, he wanted to just say, "He's our dog. He's going to be our pet. No we are not going to eat him. Yes, I know you have a better dog, but this is the dog the Lord has brought us. Thank you."

I have to admit, I'm impressed with him so far. He is great with the kids, he just follows them all around the yard like he's one of them. He doesn't bark excessively and he seems to be a smart little thing. Thankfully, we took our spring break this week, so they've had plenty of time to run from one end of the compound to the other figuring out just how brilliant he is. That puppy has certainly been treated like a prince these last 48 hours!


3 comments:

Lea said...

Christy, if you can find the courage, strength, and wisdom enough to move to Africa, you can find what it takes to have a dog! That's great.

Jenny said...

I took the plunge after saying NEVER too. It's OK and Lylah is in love. PS I have told your lotion story about 100 times. You have no idea how much I needed to hear that story for me. I love you guys. Jenny

Oh Dear said...

So I can TOTALLY relate to your response about a dog.