Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Dr. Doolittle

As I mentioned before, we got a puppy.  We named him Snickerdoodles.  We should have named him Prince because he thinks he runs the place.  I honestly believe he is one of the most spoiled dogs in Nigeria.  But, the kids love him and he's pretty well behaved.


In the same week, we also inherited an African Grey parrot from the crazy neighbors.  His name is Joe Bird.  He is really amazing. His vocabulary is practically endless.  We've had him for 2 months and he still comes out with things I've never heard before.  He loves to yell "Go Dawgs!"  The other day he said, "The vet will see you now."  Not only does he talk, he whistles the Andy Griffith tune, whines like the puppy, and mimics a variety of different coughs and laughs.  Did I mention that when you sing to him, he dances?


Then, there is a cat that we also inherited.  He doesn't come inside the house.   We set out canned mackeral every night and he sticks close enough to keep the rodents away.  It's a win/win situation.

In 7 days, we took on 3 pets.  So, imagine my surprise when the kids actually expected me to let them keep this....


They named it Camille.  Camille the chameleon.  It was pretty cool.  But I have to draw the line somewhere, right?  After all, I am NOT Dr. Doolittle.  So, after a couple of days of observing Camille and his/her really cool color-changing abilities, we set it free.  I can't imagine what's next on their animal rescuing roll.

No comments: