Saturday, July 7, 2012

Blessed

When Ryan and I got married at the tender age of 21, yes I said TWENTY ONE, we thought we would be heading to the mission field as soon as possible.  In fact, we decided not to register for china because we were going to live in China.  It took us more than 16 years to get gone.  
There have been points during the getting here that I really questioned why God allowed us to linger so long in the States.  This process would have been significantly easier without kids.  Definitely without five kids.  I don’t think the “cost” would have seemed nearly so expensive.
But, there are many, many reasons why I am so glad that we had 16 years of married life in the States and 10 years serving the local church.  For one, we were so green and so selfish that we probably would have either killed one another or divorced if we had been faced with this pressure 15 years ago.  Heavens, it’s hard enough now.  
Another reason that I’m so, so thankful for the life we built in the States is the many people who are caring for us from across the sea.  I honestly think that I may be the most blessed person on the African continent when it comes to TLC and prayer support.    I am constantly receiving words of encouragement that help to hold up my arms here.  I am trying hard to build a life here and dig in, so I don’t have time to Skype, blog and e-mail as much as I might like to.  But still, people remember us, pray for us, and encourage us, understanding that we need to be invested here, while still loving everyone there.  I know that there are churches there who are so faithfully praying for us and I don’t take that lightly.
It’s been a real blessing for my kids too.  They are making friends here, a little at a time.  They are learning to navigate the church here and slowly they are finding ways to belong.  Yet they still have the blessing of friends back in the States who love them and remember them.  They have grandparents and extended family in the States that they have solid relationships with and yet they have gained many “aunts, uncles, and cousins” with our mission family here.  I feel like in many ways they have the best of both worlds.
Abby’s birthday last month was a real reminder of that.  She was one blessed little girl.  Our family celebrated her birthday with games and a dinner chosen by her.  Then, the next day a friend here, who was just returning from the States was kind enough to carry in her birthday gifts from each of her grandparents.  The next week, she received 4 birthday packages from folks at our partner churches.  Her Sunday school class from NC loaded her up with goodies and the fact that they remembered her was a big encouragement to her.  Thanks so much to all of you who love on us!

Abby about to enjoy her birthday cupcake along with her favorite drink here, Pear Fayrouz.


Pink Lemonade cupcakes, Abby's request.

Loot from Abby's packages.

This t-shirt came in one of Abby's birthday packages.  You can't really see it, but she's wearing a dress her Grammy made her for her birthday.  

No comments: