Saturday, August 11, 2012

Amazing Provision

Ms. Laura and my big girls at our summer retreat.

The last month I have been working frantically to keep up with life.   We had our first language evaluation and I spent hours studying and working with my language coach.  When I wasn't doing that, I was working on preparing for our new school year.  There simply didn't seem to be enough hours in the day to get it all done.  The thought of maintaining this pace long term had me feeling pretty defeated.  I have spent a lot of time in prayer asking the Lord to show me how to juggle it all.  I know that we were called to continue with homeschooling this year and yet I know that I was called to pursue this ministry which means I am required to learn language.  Finding time to do all of it and sustain basic household responsibilities can be very daunting.  Not to mention, it would be nice to have time to simply enjoy my husband and children.

My colleagues know the intensity of language learning.  It had been suggested to me from the start that if I continued to homeschool I needed to consider requesting a journeyman teacher to come alongside me and help with the kids so that I could have time to dedicate to my apprentice requirements and language learning.  I briefly considered it, but honestly I wasn't sure I wanted to take on the responsibility of another person.   A good journeygirl would be a blessing, but there were no guarantees that I wouldn't get one with a lot of baggage.

But, this summer when we had our retreat, we fell in love with the volunteer team who came.  On that team was a great young lady who had just finished her master's degree this spring.  She was sort of at a crossroads, waiting to figure out what was next for her.  The girls fell in love with her and she was so kind to them.  She really invested in them during her time here.  So, at the end of the week, when it was suggested to us that we consider requesting her as a journeyman teacher, it seemed like a great idea.  We discussed it and she was willing to apply.  

For the last month we have been praying for and about her coming to serve with us.  We wrote a job request, she submitted her application, we were all anxious to see what the Lord would do.  We were a bit disappointed when we found out that even if they expedited her application, the soonest she could get through all of the clearance and training would be next April.  By then, I would have almost completed another school year and 8 more months of my apprentice term would be gone.  I resigned myself to squeeking by until then.

Then, on Monday we got a phone call from our supervisor letting us know that there was another development.  While it wouldn't be possible for her to come as an employee until April, her church was willing to send her as a volunteer to help us through this fall semester.  We prayed about it and told them on Tuesday AM that we would take her if she was really willing to come.  By Thursday the plane ticket was purchased and on Tuesday she will arrive in Nigeria.  

There were so many details that make it obvious that the Father's hand is all over this.  The fact that she was accidentally issued a multi-entry visa for her July trip, making it possible for her to return with no waiting period is one of those things.  The amazing ways that God has provided to get her here so quickly has all of our heads spinning.  

I am looking forward to sharing the load with her over the next few months.  I will continue doing some of the schooling, but she will handle a good bit of it, freeing me up to study.  We are hopeful that it will be a good solution to this season of life.  

We appreciate your prayers as we all adjust to our new schedule and the new dynamics it will bring.  Pray for Ms. Laura as she leaves her family, with only a 1 week notice!  We are so, so thankful for her church who obviously has a great passion for the Great Commission and a willingness to invest in her and in our family.  


4 comments:

Grammy said...

Praise God for His provisions. So very thankful for Ms. Laura's willingness to come to Nigeria and serve with you all. I continue to be humbled by our God's greatness.
We serve an awesome God!
Love and miss you all.

Oh Dear said...

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Christina said...

Christy - I'm not sure if you remember us but we "met" you in kansas city back in 2010! (I say "met" b/c it wasn't the first time since you and I also taught together for a time at FA...) Anyways - I found your blog recently and was excited to hear how things are going for you all! LOVE LOVE LOVE reading it all and praise the Lord for his provisions for your family!

Jenny said...

Wow! I can hardly write right now because I cannot see my keyboard through my tears of joy for you guys. Prayer to a God that IS real is so profound and my heart gets too full every time I hear these kinds of accounts. I was doing my kindergarten school supply shopping and thought of you all last week. Please expect an envelope from the Joneses sometime. We are praying for you and have Nigeria marked on one of globes for you. Love and hugs. Jenny ps Lylah has to racall the story of you eating a grasshopper quite often. Gross and awesome. Love you.