Sunday, July 29, 2018

Who Would Have Thought?

A couple of Aprils ago, I was sitting in my car one day, waiting for my kids to finish an activity at school.  At the time I was homeschooling two of my children most of the day, but each morning they would start with French and PE at the school that their other siblings attended.  As I sat in the car, I really felt the Lord impressing on my heart that I needed to offer to teach a few hours each week at the kids's school.  

After getting permission from supervisors and chatting with Ryan, I went to the school director and told her that I would be willing to teach an hour or so each day for the next school year, while my homeschoolers took other classes.  She agreed that it would be helpful and told me she would get back to me with their needs.  I completely expected to be asked if I could do Middle School Bible or Social Studies or something.  I was completely shocked when she came back to me a few days later and asked if I would consider teaching art.  I barely suppressed a laugh.  Seriously.  I remember saying to her, "You want ME to teach art?!?"  And then I remember agreeing to pray about it.  

I did.   I prayed and researched and decided to give it a whirl.  With fear.  And trembling.  And a full disclosure that I was completely unsure of my abilities but that I would try.  She reassured me that some art would be better than no art and gave me permission to fail.

So, for the last two years, I have taught K-8 art.  Surprisingly, I loved it.  Completely loved it.  I think that most of my students did too.  I  have learned so much, found a great outlet for my creativity, and absolutely thrived.  I am sure I have done so many things wrong.  I have relied heavily on the art blog world while gaining confidence in my abilities to tweak or create my own lessons. I am certain that there are many other teachers who could have done it so much better.  But they weren't here and I was.  I honestly think my students have had fun, developed a few skills, and have grown in the confidence that they can create.  It's been a fun journey.  

This spring, I was able to take coordinate my second elementary art show and it was fabulous watching my little artists show off their work to mom and dad.  We spent the spring semester learning about different countries of the world and then trying art inspired from those places.  Here are just a few of the photos Ryan took of the big day.   




 First grade fish inspired by the tropical fish of Panama 


 Fifth grade tulip fields from the Netherlands


Fourth and fifth grade Ming vases inspired by China


Kindergarten and first grade pandas
Second and third Grade Chinese lanterns

Second and third grade matryoshka dolls
Kindergarten and first grade onion domes

I am so thankful that the Lord allowed me to have the opportunity to try something new.  It has been such a joy and a blessing!





No comments: