Saturday, August 24, 2013

They were right...

Cancer sucks.  I've often heard that, now I've got ringside seats.  This is an event ticket I could have done without.  I'm choosing to believe that the Lord, in his infinite wisdom, is gonna sustain me through the days ahead.

The last few days have been a complete roller coaster.  Yesterday, I had to help facilitate some difficult decisions concerning my mother's care.  After 12 days in the same hospital, my parents had more questions than they did answers.  We weren't moving forward.  My mother continued to be in real pain.    We spent all day trying to get her a hospital to hospital transport, but none of the Duke facilities would grant her a bed.  We hit one dead end after another.  Finally, about 5 o'clock we made the call that we were going to allow them to discharge her.  We then put her in my van and drove her the 30 excrutiating minutes to Duke Medical Center, praying that when we presented in the ER they would actually admit her.

I shouldn't have worried about being turned away.  By the time we got there, she was in significant pain and her vital signs were in agreement.  The doctors were concerned and she was admitted.  It was a difficult few hours, but I know we made the right choice and it is already obvious that they are going to be able to give her an excellent standard of care.

Today has been a day of  getting answers.  And the answers weren't what we hoped for.  My mother has terminal cancer.  The scans show multiple lesions on her liver, lungs, and bones.  Pain racks her body.  She is battling pneumonia.

Our goal for the weekend is to minimize her pain until we can get another biopsy on Monday.  This one will be a bone biopsy.  We're hoping it will provide the doctors with answers about the cell type and origin.  This will allow them to begin palatable chemo for the purpose of increasing the quality of her remaining days.

The days ahead will most definitely be a journey.  We appreciate your prayers.


9 comments:

Emilee Munafo said...

Friend, I am so sorry for the news. Praying for you and your family. Emilee

Beverly Lee said...

Christy, with this cancer journey we just went through with my father so fresh in my mind, you have my prayers. I can tell you with certainty that God will sustain you just as He did me (and continues to in my bad days of missing him). I'm so sorry.

Oh Dear said...

I am so grateful that you are there with your mama.

Kristen said...

I agree. It completely sucks. Continuing to pray for you guys. Haven't stopped thinking about you.

Unknown said...

So sorry, but I think you have made the right decision. We and our church are praying for your Mom, you and your family !! It is in God's hand and he will take care of business .......

Unknown said...

The Watkins family is praying continuously! Randy

New Creation Birth Services said...

We are praying for you! I am so moved with emotion knowing well some of what you will endure in the days ahead. LOVE your family! Praying you feel His love and care!

Christie said...

Oh, Christy, I am so sorry. There is definitely no other way to explain it - it sucks. I am so sorry. I pray for strength and encouragement for your mom, you, your family - and healing for your mom!!!

-Christie

Sayoko Owen said...

Christy, Glad you're back home to be with your parents. Be strong and courageous! God will take care of all your needs in the US and Ghana. Praying for your mom. Love, Sayoko