Thursday, January 31, 2008

One Word

Last night I had an experience that frustrated me. It went something like this. I was on my way out of church and a good friend asked me "So, when I fill out your reference form, how do you want me to fill out the question about why you decided to adopt?" Now, this should have been easy for me to answer- right? Wrong? I stood there like a total idiot without one educated thing coming from my lips. (Now- in my defense- I had just finished 2 hours with 15 Kindergarten Mission Friends.) I could think of about 2 hours worth of details, but no concise and complete response.
So, I said what any person would say, "Uh, here's my blog address, if that doesn't explain it, I can give you more details." She graciously agreed to check it out, but I'm sure she was thinking, "Bless her heart, she's an idiot!"
The whole way home I was beating myself up about my ridiculous response. I thought about the fact that I needed to be prepared for these questions. I had portions of 1 Peter 3:15 rolling through my head which says, "But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect." I decided last night that I would try to prepare myself so that the next time someone asked me a similar question, I would be able to respond with a reasonable answer.
This morning I woke up and had my quiet time. I have been reading in the book of James and today I finished with chapter 4. As I was reading the very last verse just leapt off of the page. It said, "Anyone who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins." There you go. That's my answer. I can now sum up my reason for adoption in one word- OBEDIENCE. We know the good we ought to do, and we want to do it.
Now, don't get me wrong. I get very excited about the thought of a new child in our family. I can't wait to hold a baby and smell that freshly bathed pink lotion smell. I will be thrilled when it's time to put up the crib and pick out the diaper bag and buy our 5th copy of Pat The Bunny (that has been a first Christmas gift for all of our children). And I frequently imagine what our family portrait will look like with a little chocolate face in there. But, all of that will be a bi-product of our obedience, not the reason for it.
I am so glad that the Lord uses ordinary people to draw us to His word and His ways and that He cares enough about me to pursue me in spite of my pathetic self.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

ya mom i know it seems hard but god will help us in those hard times i know he wil, love abby.

Beth said...

Hi Christy! I'm excited to be able to follow along on this journey through your blog! I am also an adoption blog stalker ~ blame the Mestases!
<><
Beth

Ellie said...

Ms. Beth is so funny :) Congratulations on starting your adoption!!! I am so excited for you guys and can not wait to see who God is going to give you guys!! Hey maybe we will travel to Ethiopia together! Who knows?? :)

Ellie said...

Well, let me make that a little more clear.
Maybe we will be travleing to get 'M' the same time as you guys will be traveling to get your baby.

Not me just traveling with you guys for fun :) lol