Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Running Away

Okay, so this crazy balancing act I call life has driven me to running away! I called my husband at the end of the workday on Tuesday after a couple of discouraging days and asked him to run away with me. I knew it wasn't really possible for us to run away- we had Wednesday night responsibilities and dentist appointments we needed to keep. Not to mention work, school, errands, and a million other reasons why it simply wasn't reasonable for us to run away. But, to my surprise he called back about 15 minutes later and said he thought we really should. So, we decided on a place that neither of us had been to before, booked a cheap hotel online, printed out some Mapquest directions, grabbed necessities, and took off.
Within 90 minutes, we were on the road, and it felt great! The best part was when I told the kids to pack a bag because we were running away. They looked at me like I had 7 heads, but the grabbed their backpacks and started packing!
We're here in Virginia Beach and we managed to pick a 78 degree day- in February! The kids have had a great day swimming in the lazy river and walking on the beach. We even managed to scope out a Friendly's so we've all gorged ourselves on grilled cheese and ice cream.
I've been feeling the need to leave the zip code for several weeks, and I've been holding out because we have been overwhelmed with appointments, commitments, etc. I finally decided that if Jesus needed to retreat to Gesthemene- my need to journal on the beach and spend a few hours alone with my husband and children couldn't be so wrong!
So, tomorrow we return to reality, but that's okay. I feel refreshed and reminded of how much fun my family can be, and how capable my Creator is. I think maybe I should run away more often! As long as I make it back in time for those dentist appointments (it takes a LONG time to get 4 children's appoinment rescheduled!)

2 comments:

Beth said...

A little spontaneity can be a great pick me! Sounds like a great family memory was made!
<><
Beth

Enjoying Life Together said...

If you were at the Friendly's on General Booth, you were less than a mile away from our old house. Now you know why we go back to VaBeach so often! :) ~Sabrina