Sunday, February 24, 2008

Protecting my children

This weekend we had some surprise guests. My in-laws decided on Thursday morning that they were coming for the weekend. It was a great surprise for my children because it was their last week of Upwards basketball games, and Nana and Pap had not gotten to see them yet. So, they drove 7 hours on Thursday to see them play on Saturday.
Well, it is a given that when my in-laws are here, we will go to Marshall's. They live about 2 hours from a Marshall's, and they love it. So, on Friday, I found myself there with 2 of my daughters and my mother-in-law. Lily, my youngest, was riding in the cart with me while I was browsing and I discovered a rack of baby clothes that had just been rolled out from the stock room. It was full of very cute Carter's pajamas, onesies, and cute knit outfits for a super cheap price. I have purchased no baby clothes yet for the adoption, but these were basics that could be used regardless of season, and would also make great baby shower gifts. So, I chose several and tried to quietly slip them in the cart. Well, Lily immediately grabbed them up and asked with very big eyes and a very excited voice. "MOMMY, are these for OUR baby?!?" I responded that they were, and she began squealing. She spent the rest of the weekend carrying those clothes around. She really would have slept with them if we'd let her- it was precious. She told everyone who would listen that we had bought clothes for our new baby.
It made me smile all weekend, but it also made me a little leary. I kept thinking what if something goes wrong? What if we don't get approval? What if something doesn't work out? Have I set their little hearts up for sorrow? Have I put them in too vulnerable of a postion? The Lord gently reminded me of this verse, which he has impressed upon me during other times of parental concern:
If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! Matthew 7:11
You see, I was reminded that God loves my children, He created my children, and He has a plan for my children which is far greater than anything that I could devise. Last year, we went through a situation where I had to let my oldest daughter go through a terribly difficult time in her life. I watched her cry tears for many weeks in a row while she worked through this situation. It affected our whole family, and my husband and I could have changed her circumstances, but we knew it wasn't God's will. She had to deal with it. At that time, God really impressed on my heart that He was enough for her. I could love her, I could encourage her, but He had to be her Lord, not me. He frequently reminded me that he was not just writing my testimony, he was writing hers. It was hard, but her faith was so multiplied during that time.
I am so thankful to know that He is working in my children's lives. For one thing, I find comfort in the fact that no matter how badly I screw up, he can redeem it. He can use them in spite of my mess-ups!
I had the opportunity this weekend to see a situation where God is so obviously working in the hearts of some children. I have this delightful friend who is an adoptive parent. She has 3 biological children and 5 adopted children, and she does an amazing job of imparting the love of Jesus to them. Well, they have known for a while that they were not finished growing their family. They know that God has put on their heart that there is to be another girl brought into their home. So, they've just been waiting. Their two oldest daughters have been praying for 7 years specifically for this child.
On Saturday morning she called me to tell me that this baby was coming. They had gotten a call several weeks ago, had some meetings with the birth family, been present at the delivery, and they were going to pick the baby up at 6 p.m. on Saturday night. We were so excited for them, especially for her 2 daughters who were so awed at the way that God had woven every detail together to answer their prayers at last.
Well, it didn't work out. On Saturday, just a couple of hours before they were to go pick the baby up, the birth parents revoked. This morning, I was moved to tears as I saw her sixth grade daughter sobbing at the altar with her daddy. My heart broke for her, but at the same time, I rejoiced for the story that God is writing on her heart. I don't know how God will use this sorrow in her life, but I know that He will. I know that in her sorrow, God is still on the throne and he still shelters her in the shadow of his wing. I know that her parents took a risk, and because of that, there is pain. But because of that risk, she has the opportunity to develop a faith that the "safe" life rarely affords.
Thank you Lord for working all things together for the good of those who love you and are called according to your purposes! Give me the courage to allow you to work in the hearts of my children, even when it hurts.

No comments: