Friday, March 13, 2009

Bad Blogger

Okay, so I've been a really bad blogger.  I know it.  Every time I leave the house, someone reminds me of it.  It just has not made it to the top of the to-do list in a while.  That is basically for 2 reasons.  One would be that my life has been insanely busy- INSANELY.  The second would be that I have been largely uninspired.  The last time I had "blogging cramp,"  I finally just decided to blog about the ordinary, and after that the floodgates opened.  So, I've decided I'll try that cure again this time.  Here goes my attempt to break through, basically an overview of our last month with some photos thrown in.

Since my last post, we've had several events.  First, the kids and I made the first 7 hour trip to KY since Abe's arrival. To spend 5 days with my in-laws.  Without Ryan.  Yes, I am insane.  But, Ryan had to be out of town, so the alternative was that same period at home without Ryan, and I thought the change in zip code might do us all well.  The travel went great- much better than I expected.  Abe got to meet lots of extended family, including Ryan's grandmother.  It was a pleasant visit, and I'm glad we took the time to go.




We've had two snow events- one in KY and one in NC.  This makes 4 snow experiences this winter.  That's one for every year we didn't have any.  Lily, who had no snow memories has decided that she has had enough, she said she's ready for it to be done!  Abe hated the snow.  He wanted nothing to do with it, except for trying to eat the snow off of the floor that everyone else tracked in!



Our snow was followed by a snap of gorgeous weather.  Ryan took the kids out for the afternoon last Sunday to a local "botanical garden."  They enjoyed the sunshine and I enjoyed the quiet house.






Isaac turned 7 and we had a pirate party to celebrate.  It was very fun.  I had a great time planning and preparing for it, it was just the distraction I needed from the crazy pace of life.






The thing that has taken much of our time and emotional energy for the last month has been our church.  Like many non-profits, we have been struggling with finances.  The leadership has been praying for approximately a year about the possibility of having to cut some staff.  Finally, about 2 weeks ago, the decision was made and lots of job shifts, changes, and cuts occured.  Ryan lost two of his children's ministry staff.  It has been very difficult for our family.  Largely because these are people that we love and respect and it's painful to have to lose them- especially during such a scary economic time.  Also, because it effects the way we minister to our beloved church and community.  We're having to figure out what is a priority, what can be done differently or more efficiently, and what most deserves our energy.   We've been questioning ourselves, our calling, our effectiveness, etc.  It's one of those times when we are so thankful for God's word and his promises.  We know that when it all sifts out, there are a few things that we KNOW to be true, and that is what really matters in the end.

Abe is doing well.  We continue to have good days and bad days.  The bad days are fewer and farther between, and for that we are grateful.  He is now napping regularly, which has helped to restore some sanity to me.  

He is a very funny little guy and we enjoy the laughter he's brought to our house.  He is also a very determined and opinionated little fellow, and that provides a true challenge.  My biggest frustration continues to be wondering if I am responding to him appropriately.  I am trying very hard to balance a desire to make him feel secure and loved with setting boundaries about appropriate behaviors.  It's a juggle to be sure.

He continues to love "real" things much better than toys.  Telephones, remote controls, aluminum foil rolls- these are the things he loves.  He especially loves things that are much too big for him.  When preparing for Isaac's party, I actually strolled him all through Party City holding a wrapping paper roll in each hand.  He was content.  We looked like a wide load, but he was content!  I've included pictures of his favorite garage discovery- a very large stick that he loves to drag around (don't worry, we make sure he's supervised).  He looks  a little like a mini-Moses when he takes off with it.  He is nothing if not determined!









4 comments:

Melisa said...

Thanks for sharing...I wondered where you'd been. I adore the last pic...just darling!

Oh Dear said...

Good to hear from you. So sorry to hear about the staff at church. That makes things even harder on you guys.

The Tyler Family said...

Thanks for sharing. I completely understant the things that Abe is getting into. Judah does the same thing. Regular toys aren't good enough. Sorry to hear about the church. We sure miss it.

Farmboy and Buttercup said...

Oh, this current economic state is certainly affecting us all. Thank God He is above our economy and He wants us to keep our focus on Him, and trust in His provisions. Yeah, that is HARD!

And love Abe's outfit!