Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Photo taken by Casey Chappell of Poiema Photography

According to the grammar book I used when I taught 5th grade, a sentence is a group of words that expresses a complete thought and all sentences contain a subject and a verb.  That being said, Abe has finally said his first sentence!  The exact words were, "Isaac, stop!"  Which sounded like "Iyak top!"  He said it as he held his hand in front of his face while Isaac was squirting him with a water gun.  

I was so excited when I realized what he was saying.  Partly because it was his first sentence, and partly because I hope it's the beginning of a language explosion.  Abe still tends to scream- a lot!  And I really think it's just frustration.  He KNOWS what he wants, but he doesn't know how to communicate it.  So, he screams and screams, and then he screams some more.  We're all very anxious for him to find the words to express his desires instead.  So, as simple as it was, we will celebrate this little step and look forward to the next.

3 comments:

Journey to Jaden said...

That's a great step!! You may be doing it but I used baby signs with my first child and it spared us a lot of fustration since he could sign what he wanted instead of being so frustrated we didn't know what he wanted. I am going to try now to do the same with Jaden. I only focus on a few..more..all done..milk..food..outside..bed.. I hope that helps!!

CHRISTY said...

We used baby sign a lot in the first few weeks, and we will still use them for certain things, but he doesn't use them readily. It became a source of frustration as much as it helped. He would scream for something at lunch that he had signed for at breakfast and when we would remind him of the sign, he would simply throw a tantrum. Then, at the next meal he's happily use it again. Crazy!

Angela said...

Hooray!!!