Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Weekend in Virginia

I've confessed on here before that I am a nerd.  I used to try to hide my nerdiness, but I've come to terms with the truth.  I enjoy reading all the plaques at historic sites.  I consider it a special treat when I get to watch an episode of Jeopardy. I could get in WAY more trouble in a book store than a shoe store.  You get the picture.  I just love learning.
It was in that spirit of nerdiness that I planned our camping trip this past weekend.  Fortunately for me, I am raising my children to be mini-nerds and so they loved it.  We had a great time camping in Charlottesville VA, even though the first night the temperature got down to 41 degrees.  Let me just say friends, that makes for a cold night in a tent!  But, s'mores are yummy in any weather, and I'd much rather be too cold than miserably hot!  
We have just finished studying the Lewis and Clark Expedition as well as the War of 1812.  That meant a trip to the homes of Jefferson and Madison was definitely in order.  Here are some highlights from our trip:
Day 1: Monticello

Here we are at Monticello, the home of Thomas Jefferson.
Abe, appreciating an energetic Monticello squirrel.
The gardens were gorgeous!
One of the things I found most fascinating about Mr. Jefferson was the choice of accomplishments which he wanted listed on his tomb.  Did you know that the three he chose did not include being a President of the United States?
Here is Lizzy having a little fun with our 3rd President.  I think he looks good in pink!

Day 2: Montpelier
This was Montpelier, the home of James Madison.  No, the front doors are not made of plywood, they are just painted a plywoodish color.

Montpelier had a tent where the kids could try using woodworking tools, they thoroughly enjoyed trying a planer, a draw knife, a drill and some other items.


Abby helped cook apple beignets in Dolly's outdoor kitchen.

Abe wasn't too impressed with the house tour.  At least you can't scream if you're asleep.

This is a life-sized replica of James and Dolley.  I've always heard he was a man of small stature- I think that's obvious sitting next to Ryan!
Abe enjoyed the formal gardens much more than the house tour.
The boys

Day 3: Carter Mountain Orchard
This year, I've been trying to do some normal "Kindergarten" type things with Lily.  So, we've been doing all things apple these last few weeks.  Isaac has been tagging along with our apple activities and so we decided that we would make a visit to Carter Mountain Apple Orchard, which is just down the parkway from Monticello.  We had a fun time and we picked 24 pounds of YUMMY apples.

Sweet, yummy fruit!
Lizzy and Daddy working together to get the big ones at the top of the tree.
Abe, enjoying a free sample.
Here's daddy carrying our fruit back up the mountainside.
It took all of the rest of us to navigate the stroller through the mountain orchard.  Notice Abby is putting her weight against it while I'm attempting to move it forward, rather than down the mountainside.

Here are some fun shots we took while hanging out at the campground.




I know that most people would bring folding chairs for the campfire, but we were barely able to close the trunk as it was.  We found our storage tubs make great campfire chairs!

1 comment:

CHRISTY said...

Thank you.I had so much fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!