Sunday, March 13, 2011

On Friday, we celebrated Isaac’s 9th birthday. We allowed him to invite just 2 boys over to play and then we shared dinner and cake. He had a really hard time choosing just two and he was very worried about hurting feelings. I mention this, only because it shows how his little mind works and his super sensitive nature. Once I assured him that no one would be angry and everyone would understand our current transitional circumstances, he relaxed and chose 2 friends to invite over for a play date. The boys had a good time running outside and playing with the new Legos that Isaac had purchased at Downtown Disney.


A big part of birthday celebrations used to be the gifts, but with our current circumstances, we’ve really tried to re-group on that front. Ryan and I bought Isaac a small Lego set that he had eyed on the day that he’d purchased the other one in Orlando. His friends were very creative with gift giving. His good friend Ian thought long and hard about what he could give Isaac that would not have to be given away. He finally told his mom that he thought he should give him a pillowcase because everyone needs that, no matter where they live. Then, he decided that it needed to represent Isaac’s beloved UK Wildcats, so they decided to make it blue and white. Finally, he decided that it needed to be personal, so they added about a dozen photos of Ian and Isaac through the years and it was fun to walk down memory lane as we looked at all of them. It is absolutely priceless and I know that Isaac will treasure it for years to come.


I didn’t offer to make Isaac a fancy cake, I just asked what flavor he wanted. But, at the last minute I decided that I wanted to something to make it fun, so I made a somewhat pathetic attempt at some Lego blocks. It certainly wasn’t my best cake effort, but he thought it was fun and that’s what I was going for.


I am so thankful that God is allowing me the opportunity to parent this precious NINE year old boy. His sweet, sensitive spirit is a big blessing to me. I love the fact that he can wrestle on the floor one minute and cry his way through a missionary biography the next. I pray that in the years to come, he will allow the Lord to use him in a mighty way.




These boys can put away some pizza!
Isaac was very excited when the UPS man showed up with a surprise from Nana and Pap, golf clubs!


No comments: