Monday, April 4, 2011

The Hits Just Keep on Comin'!

Wow! That was the word of the day yesterday as we made our way from Mesa Verda, CO to the Grand Canyon. Ryan was totally prepared to be unimpressed. I had been to the canyon before and kept assuring him that it would be spectacular. He told me he'd seen a canyon before and with all of the beautiful scenery we'd been seeing for the last 3 days, could it really be any prettier? Needless to say, he was eating his words when we caught our first glimpse.

Really, I don't know how anyone could see the wonders we've seen this last few days and not be certain there is a Creator. The Native Americans who call this canyon home knew and gave credit to some being as each of them have some legend about how they came to be in this place. We of course, have been discussing with the kids the amazing creativity of our amazing God. As Teddy Roosevelt said, it really is something every American should see.

I could spend all day uploading photos. We have a ridiculous amount, but it's hard not to push that button when every bend looks like a different postcard shot. I'll just share a few of our favorites from the day.


Here we are, walking down the path to catch our first view of the canyon.
Here it is! The first glimpse.
Ryan forced me to take this picture. I was on one jut and Ryan and the kids ventured out on a rock that was sticking out across the way. I have a paralyzing fear of heights, so I was trying not to panic. To make it worse, the wind was whipping and Isaac's hat went flying away, so they took off chasing it. It took all of my self-control not to scream.





We decided to stay in the park for dinner so that we could watch the sunset on the canyon. Here we we are outside of the Bright Angel Lodge where we ate dinner.
Sunset at the canyon.
Huddled together, watching the sunset in the frigid, windy weather. Let's just say, the temperature can plummet quickly!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the beautiful pics! Since I've never been there, I'm living this trip through the Campbell Clan. And I have to say that we're having a great time!
Sara Hammond :)
(Side note...totally unrelated... the word verification below is one of our cat's names. Isn't that weird??? It's the way I spell it, too... mikee. Mikee is our 14 yr. old...old man. Just had to share.) :)