Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Off the Rim

Yeseterday, we made our way back to the Grand Canyon to soak in another day of that amazing ditch. The morning was cold and windy, but we braved it. We walked a bit of the rim trail and then went to an “Ask the Ranger” program so that the kids could finish their Jr. Ranger requirements. They managed to earn their badges early in the day and proudly wore them all day long.

Ranger Kristi, answering all our questions.
Getting Jr. Ranger badges.

After lunch, we decided to brave it and try going off the rim. After talking with a couple of different rangers, we decided the South Kaibab trail was the best choice for us. Let me just say that Mama was totally out of her comfort zone. It wasn’t the physical demands of the trail that intimidated me. Instead, it was the sheer drop offs that bordered the path of slippery rocks we were tromping on.The first portion was just a series of about 6 steep switchbacks down a ledge. We were dodging mule poop and I was trying to make sure that the 4 oldest were sticking to the inside of the trail. Ryan, on the other hand, was happily tromping along with a vice grip on Abe who asked at least every 30 seconds for the whole 2 mile hike if he could please just walk by himself.


Some of the first switchbacks on the trail. That's me in the green coat.
We made it down to the place known as “Ooh Aah Point.” We might have made it farther, but unfortunately, I got separated from everyone else and by the time we were reunited, I declared the downward portion of our hike complete. I told Ryan that he had traumatized me. There was a mule train passing by and Ryan told me to step to the side. I was bringing up the rear, so I simply stepped to the side so they could pass. As they were passing, the muleteer casually thanked me and then informed me that I would be delayed 10-20 minutes while they made a trail repair. He then proceeded to tie a mule up in a way that blocked the trail just in front of me. Ryan and the kids had just gone around a huge rock and they were trapped at the other end of the mule train. So, I couldn’t see them, they couldn’t see me, and we just had to wait it out.

I have to admit, that there was great satisfaction in being down in the canyon and looking up. The views were gorgeous and we’re all glad that we tried it. Ryan and I agreed that someday we’d like to come back and hike from rim to river, but not with our 5 favorite friends in tow.



The mule train that nearly ran me over.

Ooh Aah Point. Notice it's Ryan standing on the edge and not me!

We all agree that this has been best stop yet and that our friends all need to come!

4 comments:

Enjoying Life Together said...

We can always count on Abe for a good laugh. So is your cross county trip all you had hoped it would be so far?

Jackie said...

I'm having so much fun reading about your trip (and your journey since we taught together too)! Keep the posts coming :)

Grammy said...

All I have to say, is you must be in training. Amazing views.

Oh Dear said...

Lydia is studying different National parks just in time for you guys to post the pictures! It really is HUGE!
You have inspired us to take off on a little road trip ourselves to some hidden treasures that we often drive right by.