Saturday, October 15, 2011

When the Rubber Meets the Road

"I lift up my eyes to the hills, where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth." Psalm 121:1


So, it’s here. The time we’ve been preparing for is approaching. After months of time crawling by and it seeming like it will never ever get here, time is now flying! It’s down to the point where we can count by hours and they number less than 100. CrAzY!

The reality of the fact that we’re about to leave the people and places that we love for 3-4 years is staring us in the face and those goodbye moments we’ve been dreading are becoming a reality. We are dealing with it the same way we’ve dealt with all of the other hard parts of this journey. We simply keep doing the next thing, putting one foot in front of the other and clinging to the call and the truth that propel us forward.


Our first tough goodbye happened earlier this week. Our family got to spend a few days with some of our dearest friends, the Nemitz family. Our Lizzy and their Alexa are “kindred spirits.” They have loved each other's company since they met as preschoolers. They both love to laugh and they have no reservations when it comes to being on center stage. They both have NO filter and they consistently complete one another’s sentences.


But, our friendship goes well beyond Lizzy and Alexa. Our families just love one another. We parent in ways that are similar and our kids get along great. We find it easy to spend time together and though our schedules often go different directions, we always have a good time when we get to have time together.


This week, we spent some time together in a mountain cabin in Cherokee and we had a great visit. At the end of the time, we all gave hugs- from the youngest to the oldest and I was pleasantly surprised that everyone held it together. But, as we climbed into our vehicles so that we could head in different directions, I couldn’t help but tear up. My situation was complicated by the fact that I looked back to see a whole vehicle of misty eyes. While we all sat their sniffling, we waited for the Nemitz to pull away first. Lily, who uses her words sparingly, spoke up and said, “Hold on, they’re probably all having a moment in their van too!”


Needless to say, we all laughed, as the tears continued to stream down our cheeks. Ryan cranked up the praise music and we made our way down the mountain, crying, singing, and attempting to regain our composure. I think the tears were partly because we really will miss our friends. And I think they were partly because we’re just grieving so many little things. Beloved things lie behind and uncertainty lies ahead. That’s the reality. But the other side of that reality is that adventure also lies ahead as well as new friends and exciting opportunities. That’s what we choose to focus on in those “down the mountain” moments.

2 comments:

Beth said...

Christy, I want to thank you for sharing your journey with us like this. Although I've had other friends leave for the mission field, I've never been privy to the details such as you've shared, and it really drives home the sacrifice involved in serving our Lord. Not that there isn't abundant blessing as well, but ... I think we tend to gloss over the sacrifice part. What am I sacrificing to follow God's call in my life? My prayers are with you all.

Karrie said...

yep....I totally understand.