Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Making Hay While the Sun Shines

So, we've finished week 3 here in Canada and we're getting the hang of many things. The transit doesn't seem so overwhelming and we're even getting braver with navigating different routes and venturing out to new places. Grocery shopping is still different, but I'm getting into a new stride. I was chatting with a Canadian lady today about a few items that I still haven't been able to find and I mentioned sliced pepperoni. She asked why I wanted it pre-sliced, she thought that was odd. I just don't think I would enjoy it as much if I had to take that big tube and slice it myself. I'm sure that soon that will only be the tip of the iceberg when it comes to groceries!

Last week we did the normal class routine. We had presenters in town from Calgary and Ryan and I each had a turn to go out with one of them and practice what we're being taught. It was neat to talk with them and to be challenged to apply what we're learning.

I hit a little bit of a slump last week. I think the finality of our decision comes in waves and last week, I had one of those waves. I think that seeing photos and posts from everyone back home having fun together for Halloween while I'm here in this massive city wandering around and trying to find someone to do community with just seemed a bit overwhelming. But some time in prayer and in God's word, along with trying to see my situation through the perspective of truth, helped me to work through the funk. I'm sure it's not the last time, but I'm glad to be seeing the glass half-full again.

The weekend came with two beautiful days back to back. We had planned to spend one day playing and one day working, but it was too beautiful to do chores and errands, so we played both days! A friend here encouraged us to get outside since the dry sunny days left in the season are going to come with increasing rarity. We had a great time enjoying this glorious place.

Saturday, we visited Lynn Canyon where we were able to tromp through a gorgeous forest. The claim to fame there is a suspension bridge that spans the canyon. I made it across, but I preferred the hiking to the bridge crossing. The forest is what is called a temperate rain forest and it was so beautiful. Ryan kept saying that he felt like he was spending the day in a postcard, the kids decided it was just like Narnia in the summertime.

Crossing the bridge
The view from the bridge. Although I'll admit, Ryan stopped to take this photo, I just kept on trucking across.
The stumps were as much fun as the rocks!

Beautiful view # 197
Enormous old growth forests
Can't you just see Mr. Beaver running across that path with Edmund or Lucy?

Beautiful girl!

On Sunday, we decided to go downtown to Stanley Park and rent bicycles. Everyone has been telling us about this amazing bike path that goes along the seawall which circles the park. It's a very "Vancouver" thing to do. And it was very cool, but I must admit that 1/2 way in, I was wondering what in the world we were thinking. I'm not the most confident bike rider, so at those points where the path was narrow, the "real bikers" were zooming by, and we were trying to keep five children all on the seawall and not in the sea, I was questioning my sanity. But, 10 kilometers later, when we were returning the bikes, I was glad we'd done it. The bike rental employees could not believe that Abe rode the entire loop on his own. He was one tired guy, but he did it!

See why we couldn't stay home?
Away we go!

Pit stop #1. The kids loved this slide.
Gorgeous views!

Pit stop #2, it's not everyday you see a 1/2 dozen totem poles off to the left.
Have I mentioned that I love this city?
You can barely see it, but Isaac loved the Chevron station out in the middle of the inlet.
Look at that line-up!

Abby felt like all of that peddling deserved a cupcake. That girl and her cupcakes!
Waiting at the bus stop. Two tired kids.

3 comments:

Angela said...

it was last week that God lead me to get down on my knees and pray specifically for you....
I kept meaning to fb you to let you know I was praying for you (more intently than usual) hoping to encourage you in some way, but I never did. So after reading your post I thought I would let you know.

I enjoyed the bike photos! It has been too cold here the past couple of weeks for me to get out and ride.

Oh Dear said...

WOW! It is beautiful!
Prayed for you guys with 150 of my little friends last week. They called out your names and said, I am going to pray for Mr. Ryan" Another child would shout "Abby" another "Lily" another "Elizabth" then "Isaac", "Abe" and "Ms. Christy."

Rachel said...

Hi;

I just found your blog from another - I am from Canada - not the west - but Canada all the same - it is interesting to read about someone else's experiences in my country!!

I felt the need to comment because of your difficulty in finding pre-sliced pepperoni - have you tried the deli section of the grocery store?? Not the pre-packaged deli section but where you ask for them to slice you your selections?? Usually there is a section there of pepperoni and some even pre-sliced - that is what I usually do!

Rachel