Monday, February 20, 2012

In Your Wildest Dreams...

You cannot imagine the hospital experience we just had. Well, maybe a few of you can, but it's not like anything I'd ever experienced. Here are just a few things I observed...
  • I never, ever, ever, want to have a true medical emergency here... never, ever!
  • Cleanliness is relative, even in medical facilities.
  • Efficiency is not the goal. At all. Nor is a high standard of patient care.
  • Our entire bill, including seeing the doctor, having an ultrasound, and 3 injections (well, it was supposed to be 3, but since the needle broke off in Ryan's tush it was actually 4) cost about $20. Let me just say, this is one of those cases where you get what you pay for!
  • Nigerians like stamping papers, especially all 3 copies of your triplicate carbon copies. Of which we got several. At least we'll have plenty of receipts to submit.
  • Sometimes, being a white person in West Africa has significant advantages, like heading to the front of the line and getting to see an American doctor.
  • Oh yeah, and I never, ever, ever want to have to go there for a medical emergency (did I mention that already?)
All joking aside, we are very happy that we were able to see someone who attempted to provide us with decent care. The Dr. gave Ryan an injection that is at least managing the pain for now. We are supposed to try and get a kidney x-ray tomorrow, they can't do those at the hospital, but we have the name of the place that can. Oh yeah, and a urologist will be in on Friday, he can read it for us then. Hopefully, we won't need a urologist come Friday. Oh, please pray that he's better by Friday!

4 comments:

Melisa said...

Still praying my buddy, Ryan! Way to go Christy...drove him to the hospital, I reckon?

We Are Family said...

I'm having a hard time getting past the needle breaking off!!! OH MY GOODNESS

Pam said...

I agree with the above commenter with having a hard time getting past the needle breaking off!! Oh my....praying for Ryan!

Dee said...

I can only picture what it's like and I'm sure I'm way, way off. Nonetheless, I'll be praying for Ryan to get better!