Thursday, February 23, 2012

Just a few of the things that I’m not sure I’ll ever get used to...

In no particular order...

  • Hearing our nightguard walk the gravel path around the perimeter of our home through the night.
  • The fact that people twice our age refer to Ryan and I as “Mama” and “Baba.” Which, I think I understand are friendly terms of respect.
  • The call to prayer throughout the day, especially the one that often wakes me at 4:30 every morning.
  • The insane number of “machines” that weave in and out and all around us everywhere we go. I am especially floored by the motorcycles that have a man on the front, with a preschooler, then a mama with a baby tied on her back. Oh, and none of them have helmets!
  • The reality that there are virtually no traffic rules and the number of lanes on any given road is totally flexible.
  • This conversation, which happens several times in the average day...”Oh, the power came on, we’ve got to get laundry started! Hurry! Oh, wait, it’s off, nevermind. Oh, look, it’s on again! Run! Oh wait, nevermind...”
  • The fact that automatic weapons are a common sight while shopping, banking, or driving down the road. I’m not sure what qualifies a person to carry one, but they seem to be pretty standard issue round these parts.
  • Being stared at everywhere that we go. And not in a sly sort of way. In a mouth open gaping at us sort of way. Although, I have learned that looking them straight in the eye , smiling, and going through the standard greetings usually changes the staring session into a slightly more congenial stare.

4 comments:

We Are Family said...

Having traveled a little bit these made me laugh. I have often wondered if you would get used to these things if you lived in said country....Guess not :)

The Roberts Eight said...

surprisingly enough, you might just become used to quite a few of those things... :)

lisaqshay said...

oh my. yes, i can imagine they would be tough to ignore and become accustom to.
but i must ask, you didn't get the gaping mouth wide open stares here? what, with yer large quantity multi color family and all.

Heather said...

I am loving your blog, Christy! So glad that you are getting enough time and electricity to sit down and write it. You have been in our thoughts and prayers often, friend, and we miss your family a lot! Our kids still talk about your kids like they go to the same school...Hope you're feeling lots better!