Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Love in the Details

I’ve said over and over and over and over during this whole process that I have been totally amazed by how personal God has been to me. I look back on every detail and I just see God’s love woven through both the big and the little things. We had one of those “in the details” moments last week.


We have 2 children who have excema. Their skin is really dry and needs lots of moisturizers. We put 100 tubes of cream on the crate for them. But the crate’s not here yet. And the tubes we brought on the plane are gone. We underestimated the “dry” in dry season.


In the 9 years we’ve been dealing with this, we have tried a gazillion creams. Cheap ones, expensive ones, prescription steroids and compounds, petroleum jelly, crisco, mayonnaise, coconut oil, and a variety of other quacky suggestions. But, the last 18 months, we’ve been using a moisturizer made by Avon. We never would have thought to try it, but a friend insisted and it has been the best we’ve found.


So, here we are in West Africa with nothing left except a few tubes that we’ve cut open so that we can dig out what’s stuck in the corners. We weren’t sure what we should do. We decided we’d just see what was available locally and we’d have to make it work until we could get our crate here.


Imagine our surprise when we went to the local store to look for some alternative and there on the shelf between the Jergens and the unfamiiar local brands we should find 6 tubes of OUR Avon cream. Can you believe it? Ryan and I stood right there in that aisle and cried. About the time we dried it up, Isaac came around the corner, gasped in unbelief, and we cried again. Then, we headed home to where the girls were and they pulled them out of the bag and shrieked with joy and I teared up again. Personal, that’s my God!


Why, even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not; you are of more value than many sparrows. Luke 12:7

10 comments:

The McNeill family said...

I am sniffling and wiping my eyes, friend! When you gave us that Avon cream for Bella, little did we know that we would need it for JJ, too. I am so thankful that the Lord provided for you in such a sweet way. And I am so very thankful for your family; you have blessed us all so much!

Anonymous said...

It was very interesting for me to read that blog. Thanks the author for it. I like such topics and everything that is connected to them. I would like to read more soon.
1972 Chrysler New Yorker AC Compressor

Oh Dear said...

SO COOL!!! Those are what I call DELIGHTS!

Beth said...

sweet.
<3
Beth

Kay Cornett said...

I cried too , when i read your post about finding the Avon cream. That truly is a miracle. You just dont find Avon(and especially a particular cream) on store shelves. The Lord is so good to meet our every need.
I learned about you from a lady who works with jeanette. She gave us your blog spot and I have so enjoyed reading about your new life there in Niegeria.
I prayed for you and your family this morning, especially about your culture adjustment and learning a new language.
You will be in our prayers and we will follow your blog and keep up with what is happening with you all.
Love, Because He first loved us,
Kay Cornett
Cornettsville, Ky

Emily Drake said...

I really cannot believe it. You are right...He is personal. So glad you are blogging these stories to remember the way the Lord provides!!!

Seepy1 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Seepy1 said...

So glad to finally be able to read your blog again, and this first one already has me crying.... miss you!

Grammy said...

"Praise God from Whom all Blessings Flow"

Jenny said...

Wow!!! I needed to read this today. I know that God is good and peeks at that personal love for people is so precious. Thanks for telling this story.