Wednesday, November 21, 2012

A Letter to My 16 Year Old Self

Recently, I was asked by my dear friend Casey to be a part of a little blog activity.  She suggested that we each write a letter to our 16 year old self, expressing whatever we wanted to share with who we were then.  Although it isn't a new concept in the blog world, it's something I've never taken the time to do and it seemed like a good time to reflect a bit.  So, here it goes...

Dear 16 Year Old Self,

Wow!  I've thought a lot about what I would want to say to you and what I wish I had known at the age of 16.  Where do I even start? There are so many things I think you just have to learn through experience and I guess that's the first bit of encouragement I'd like to give you... enjoy the journey sweetheart.  So often you'll get caught up in the destination or the finished product, it's who you are.  Let me encourage you to take time to look around you and take it all in.  Looking back I promise you'll be amazed at how all of those baby steps along the way have allowed you to go to some pretty amazing places.

Trust your instincts, they're usually right.  By all means, make sure you check them against scripture and prayer, but when they check out- go for it!  There will be many times when you'll be tempted to measure yourself by the standards of others.  You'll make choices that will seem outlandish to the people around you.  You'll doubt your own sanity.  Do it anyway.  It's usually those very decisions that will allow you to see God work in amazing ways.

Extend grace.  Especially to your family.  Yeah, they can be weird.  No, they aren't the Cleavers.  But, they love you.  They really are amazing people.  They really are doing the best they can.  One day, when God gives you little people of your own that you're desperately trying to not screw up, you'll realize how very loved you are.  And how hard it is to be a sinner trying to raise sinners.  Give them a break.

Speaking of love... relax.  It will come.  I know that all of your girlfriends are dating a lot.  I know that they are all telling you that your standards are too high.  Keep them that way.  God will truly give you the desires of your heart.  He has an amazing man in store for you and waiting for him and the blessings that will come from that relationship is going to be so worth it.

Avoid debt.  Trust me, there is nothing that you need now that is worth the headaches it will bring you later. If you don't listen to me, you'll spend years cleaning up the mess you'll make in the next few.  Never mind, I know you won't listen to me on this one, but I wish you would.  Those shoes that go on that credit card will end up at the Goodwill, which is the only place you'll be able to shop once you come to your senses!

One last thing, and if you don't hear anything else I say, listen to me on this one.  Pursue Jesus.  Don't just pursue doing stuff for him.  Pursue HIM.  Allow him to teach you how to love the people and the places that He brings into your life.  Beg him to give you a love for his word.  Surrender to him every stinking day and when you don't want to, do it anyway.  I promise, if you do that, the rest of it won't matter.  It will all fall into place.

Okay, the very final last thing... when you decide you need to crossover to a real "mom" vehicle, that red ford mini-van at that little used car lot is cheap for a reason.  Don't buy it.

Faithfully Yours,
Your 39 Year Old Self

To check what another friend had to say to her 16 year old self, check out Kristin's blog.









No comments: