Thursday, November 1, 2012

Twins?!?

Did you know that I have a twin?  Neither did I.  But, apparently I do and though we're from different parts of the US, we've both ended up in the same Nigerian city.  Seriously, it's crazy.  I've made a good friend here and though we think we look nothing alike, apparently the Nigerians don't see it that way.  It started a few months back when my friend Alycia and I were walking one day and she mentioned that someone in town had called her "Mrs. Campbell."  So I asked her if she greeted them and she explained that she hadn't because it took her a minute to realize what was happening.  I scolded her and told her that next time she better just pretend she was me and greet them warmly.  We laughed and we thought that was the end of it.  

We were wrong.  It has happened many times since then.  They've even mistaken our husbands for one another. Ryan was in a shop recently and the man told him he had forgotten something on his last visit.  It took Ryan a few minutes to get to the bottom of it, but he finally realized that they were referring to Alycia's husband.  

Yesterday at the corner shop that we all frequent, she and Ryan were in there at the same time and the lady who waits on us all the time spoke to her as if she was Ryan's wife.  It's CrAzY.  

The absolute worst was when we were together and a Nigerian woman asked me if I was her mother.  Seriously, I know that I've got a couple of years on her.  And, Nigeria has certainly not done my skin and hair any favors.  But her mother!?!  Give me a break!  Talk about a morale booster.  

So, the next time you hear those jokes about how white people can never tell black people apart, I'm here to tell you that can go both ways!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I appreciate this so much! There is another jgirl here who they ask if she is my mother... or my sister or my twin... So then I just ask if the person next to them is their brother or sister. See you soon!

Grammy of 6 said...

How funny!