Thursday, May 30, 2013

My Walk Around the Block


We live near the US Embassy.  For that matter, we live very close to at least a dozen different embassies and/or ambassador residences.  I imagine that our organization purchased this piece of property that we live on when it had a much, much lower value than it would today.  As the deacon who visited us a few weeks ago told Ryan, we live in an "elitist neighborhood."  Who knew?

It's a big change from our last home.  There we lived a stone's throw from the "real" Africa.  We walked out our gate, made a left, and we were right in the thick of chickens, goats, half-naked children, and raw sewage.  Man, how I miss that.  And, if I'm telling the truth, I've been a bit down in the mouth about it.  How can one woman complain so much about all that is not available to her and then turn around and complain when her world expands?  Oh, that I would learn to be content.  

Yesterday morning, I got up early enough to take a walk by myself.  I went out my gate at 6:17 AM, thinking I'd get out while it was still quiet.  Boy, was I wrong.  I was amazed at all of the hustle and bustle.  I decided to  put on my narrative mapping hat.  When we went to Canada for training, they taught us to really look and see where people gather and how the rhythms of life work in the neighborhoods where God has called us to work and serve.

To walk around the block, I literally have to walk the entire perimeter of the US Embassy.  When I walked around the front side, it was time for the guard shift change and I noticed a half dozen tea and bread sellers, ready to serve those hungry men who were headed home.  As I made my way around the side, I realized there was a whole mini-city just across the street from the huge embassy building. There were chop bars and little shops that sold everything from cell phone credit to powdered milk to biscuits (AKA cookies).  There were ladies selling fruit and vegetables and meat pies.  Mixed in with all of the sellers was a wide variety of people coming and going, buying and selling.  There were white men in suits and brown men in guard uniforms.  There were ladies of various colors dressed for a day at the office.  There was such a pulse to that place.  And at that moment I realized that this too was the "real" Africa.  

I live smack dab in the middle of the "real" Africa.  I am not here by mistake.  I was reminded of the phrase in Ecclesiastes that says something like "whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might..."  I have no idea what God will have for me to do in however many days, weeks, months, or years He gives me in this new city.  But, I can be faithful with each one that comes, relying on God instead of my own pitiful self.   I can quit bellyaching about how this isn't what I signed up for and I can choose joy for this part of the journey.  That's what I was reminded of on my walk yesterday morning.  I'm so thankful that the Lord is so patient with me and that He takes the time to speak to my heart in little ways like that.

No comments: