Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Definitely a Girl!

Shortly after we moved to Accra, I ran to the grocery store one day for a couple of items.  Isaac and Lily decided to hop in the taxi with me at the last minute and Lily was dressed in some gym shorts and a pink t-shirt.  Her hair was yanked back in a ponytail and she hadn't taken time to get ready, so she was a little bit self-concious about her appearance.  I assured her she looked fine, but she had a hard time believing me when we got into the checkout line and some random Ghanian lady walked up to Lily and asked very boldly, "Are you a boy or a girl?"  Lily was extremely surprised and just stood there, stone-still, until the lady asked again, much more obnoxiously.  I replied to the woman that she was obviously a girl.

I think the cashier could tell that we were both shocked because she explained to me that the reason the woman asked was because Lily had no earrings in her ears.  Lily looked at me as we walked away and said, "Mom, I think it's time for me to get my ears pierced."  

It has always been our approach that we would get our girl's ears pierced when they were old enough to ask.  However in this culture, it is done when a girl baby is born and girls just have pierced ears, it's a fact.   In light of the day's events, I assured her that we could try to get them pierced very soon.

Several weeks went by and I sort of forgot about it.  We were at a mall in Kenya with some of our colleagues and one of the other families mentioned that their daughter was going to get her ears pierced at the chemist.  I asked Lily if she wanted to take the plunge and she thought it was a great idea.

The other little girl was younger and Lily was worried that she would get upset.  However, the other girl went back into the side room and came out a few minutes later with no problems.  Meanwhile, Lily was waiting and getting more anxious by the minute.  By the time we got back to the room, she was beginning to freak out.  When she saw the gun, she totally flipped out.  She couldn't do it.  She curled up and tucked her head into my chest.  However, the nice Kenyan doctor was not going to let her chicken out.  So, in an effort to calm her, he pierced his own ear.  Yes, you read that correctly, he loaded the gun with a new earring and he pierced HIS OWN EAR.  Lily was so shocked that this enormous man had a gold heart complete with cubic zirconia hanging on his earlobe that she got totally distracted.  She finally worked up the nerve and got it done.

So, for about 10 USD, she got the piercing, the earrings, and the ear care solution...not to mention a very unique memory of getting them pierced.  She's been very conscientious about taking care of them and they're doing great.  She's excited that in a couple of weeks she gets to take them out and put in some "pretty" ones.  Now, there will be no uncertainty that Lily is definitely a girl!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is a brave girl! Love PapandNana