Sunday, November 9, 2014

A Different Kind of Supply

When I agreed to oversee the guest house that our organization operates in our city, the ideal was that we would have a long term volunteer who would do most of the oversight and I would simply provide the support for them.  That was the plan.  But, sometimes plans don't work out.  The person we had lined up for a one year commitment had multiple postponements and in the end, never made it.  I was able to get a couple of short termers, but since March, we've been volunteer-less at the guest house. 
 
I prayed very fervently that God would provide someone.  I knew there was no way I could spin all of the plates without a volunteer.  I work with a really, really great national staff who work hard, but there are some things that they are not responsible for.   God didn't answer my prayer like I had in mind, but He brought me a different kind of help.
 
When I was approaching panic mode about how we were going to keep the guesthouse going with no volunteer host, a co-worker from a neighboring country asked me if I could use a young volunteer.  She had a request from a pastor friend who was looking for a place for a young woman who wanted to do a gap year overseas.  She had been lined up to go to the Ukraine and with the current climate there, she needed a different location.  I told my friend that I didn't think she'd be a good fit for the guest house, but if she'd be willing to help homeschool, I'd take her.  I honestly didn't think she's consider it, but she did.  And, to my surprise, she came. 
 
I'm so glad she did.  She's been a big blessing for us.  She works a good bit with Abe, helps nearly all of the others with math and whatever else they get hung up on, and is a good friend to the girls.  While I am still heavily involved with school, she helps to streamline our days in a way that enables me to keep the plates spinning.  Not to mention, having her here has helped us keep traction on the days when I would be tempted to throw school out the window because there are too many other things to do. 
 
 

It doesn't always look like we imagine, but I have found time and again that God meets our needs over here in West Africa. 
 
"And my God will meet all your needs according to the riches of his glory in Christ Jesus."  Phillipians 4:19

No comments: