Sunday, February 1, 2015

16 going on 17

About 8 years ago, after several years as a homeschooling mama, I found it necessary to return to work for a time.  A long line of medical and ER copays, combined with a couple of moves in a short period, and quite frankly, some not so stellar financial decisions, led us to needing a second income.  I found a school that had an opening at the same time that I had a need.  It all happened very quickly and in the course of less than 10 days, I went from mentioning to a friend that I might try to find a job, to asking my mom to come down from Cincinnati and move in with us to help with childcare, to leaving my older two for their first day of "real" school, while I went off into a classroom of my own.

To say that it was a rocky period for my kids would be an un.der.state.ment.  But, for my oldest, I truly believe it was a time when her faith became her own.  She was so brave and so terrified all at the same time.  She learned to cling to Jesus as she rode the tidal wave of her parent's decisions.  I remember sobbing so many times that year as I saw her wrestle through some tough lessons and reminding myself that God loved her and he was writing her testimony, even as he was writing mine.

One great thing that came out of those 8 months at Franklin Academy was a friendship that Abby still considers dear.  The little girl who showed her to the bathroom during those early days of tummy aches and tears, has been a faithful friend across 1000s of miles.

Here they are at their end of year program, back in 3rd grade.

About 10 months ago, Abby and this dear friend decided to hold off on their 16th birthday parties and have a combined party when we returned to the States.  They both have summer birthdays, so by the time we returned, they were both as close to 17 as they were to 16.  They decided they would have a "16 going on 17" party.  Last Saturday, after months of planning and crafting, much of it via Facetime, they finally had their much anticipated party.  They did all things pink and gold, and it turned out very lovely.

They had lots of friends show up to celebrate with them (several of whom were in that same 3rd grade class) and they had a great time.  I know that they had lots of fun planning together.

Here are the "birthday girls"


 Ready for guests

There were some talented girls in the group, as their lovely canvases showed.

Here are the girls with their grandmothers.  I'm not gonna lie, when they all lined up for the photo, I was very aware of how much my momma's absence and how much she would have loved to be in that line-up.

Here they are with the dad's.   AKA "The funders of dreams."  Though, I've got to brag on them, they were industrious, practical, and pretty economical party planners.
A good friend of both of our families' was very kind in offering the girls the gift of a cake.  She took the time to meet with them and get their ideas.  Then, she made them matching cakes, each with their own monograms.  They were both beautiful and delicious.  Thanks Ms. Sarah.

I'm so thankful for God's gift of friendship!

No comments: