Wednesday, February 4, 2015

How Can This Be?

I"m not sure how or when it happened, but apparently I'm old enough to have a child making college visits.  Just yesterday the very same child was drinking out of sippy cups and begging to watch Big Bird.  How can this be?


But alas, it is true.  And, honestly, I know that when it's time for her to go, she's going to do great things.  I'm excited to see what paths she pursues and where the Lord leads her.  For now, I'm trying to embrace each moment and just enjoy her last couple of years at home.  Lord willing, the next time we come to the States, it will be to get her settled in for college and I know it's going to come far too quickly for this mama!

We did have a great visit last week at North Greenville University.  Abby is pretty certain she knows where she wants to go to school, without doing visits.  However, I felt strongly that she needs to visit several campuses, just to be sure.  We chose this one because they give pretty significant scholarships to people who work for our organization and we've heard great things about it.  Abby was convinced it wouldn't be the school for her, but she was willing to go have a look.  In the end, she was really impressed by everything she saw and with everyone she met.  It definitely is on her radar as a significant possibility at this point.  However, with the current major she's considering, it's not the strongest contender...so time will tell.

I have to say, I felt so OLD visiting campus.  As we ate in the cafeteria, walked through the dorms and class buildings, etc.,  I was very aware of the fact that I am definitely not a college student anymore.  I mean that's obvious to everyone else, but I think in my brain, I'll always be 20.  I had some great college years and experiences, it was a sweet season in my life. However, time marches on, doesn't it?  And so it should!

So for now I guess my season is to help pray, prepare, and launch a few young'uns for their own sweet seasons of university years.  Did I mention this whole parenting gig is going far too fast?!?

No comments: