Sunday, August 16, 2015

Week One is Done!


Thanks to so many of you who have been prayng for us as we are making the transition to school.  We made it through the first week!  Never mind that it was only a 3 day week, we're counting it as one in the books.  Abby had to point out that truth on Friday AM when they were headed out the door, "Just think Mom, if this was a normal week, it would only be Wednesday!"

First day of school, grades 11, 9, 8, 6, and 2!

All in all, it was a solid start.  The kids are all getting the hang of the routine, finding friends among  their classmates, and learning a bit about their teachers.  None of them are begging to come back home, so that's a good beginning!

Here are a few initial observations about our school entry:
  • It is really, really nice to tidy the house at 7:30 and find it's still tidy at 2:15!
  • It's also nice to be able to start and finish a task uninterrupted.
  • The novelty of lunch by myself is gonna wear off quickly.
  • Trying to debrief 5 children on a 7 hour school day during the 30 minute car ride home can be a recipe for a headache.  There were points when I think all 5 were trying to talk over the other 4 to make sure I heard their perspective.  At least they're talking to me!
  • Anything times 5 is more intense than anything times 4 or 3 or 2 or 1.  Likewise, it is less intense than being a mom of 6, 7, 8, or 12.  Whether it's homeschooling or school prep, being a mom of lots of kids just takes time.  I'm not complaining or bragging, just observing.  
  • All of the "free time" I now have during the day, gets trumped by the insanity of the evening!  Washing water bottles, supervising lunch box packing, overseeing homework, setting out clothes, feeding them the insane amounts of food they request after being at school all day, and listening to their detailed descriptions of their days is exhausting.  We've all been collapsing into bed at night.  I'm thinking that it may be a toss-up as to which is less demanding- homeschooling or sending them off!
  • I am very thankful that God has led us to a school community where family involvement and  discipleship are high priorities.
  • My high schoolers thrive on peer interaction.
  • Middle School PE is as intimidating now as it was 30 years ago.  
  • My limited lunchbox ideas are gonna get really old, really fast.   I'm missing American grocery stores more than ever.
  • Your child might be attending a school full of evangelical-minded families when you ask him about the class roster and he rattles off the names, Jonah, Isaiah, Ezekiel, Levi, Noah, and Joseph. 
  • I may live in the capitol city of my country, but school drop-off and pick-up during rainy season makes me very thankful for my high clearance, 4 wheel drive vehicle!
Week two starts tomorrow!



No comments: