Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Sisters






There were many dreams I had as a little girl.  Most of them have either come to pass or I have abandoned them for a more realistic take on life.  For example,  I have come to terms with the fact that I will never be President of the United States- I have even let my mother get rid of the boxes full of childhood mementos I insisted that she save for my presidential museum.  I know now that I will never be an archaeologist.  I no longer sit through every solo wishing God had given me the gift of a beautiful voice like I did through all of my elementary and junior high years.

But, there is one dream that I really wish I could have experienced, and that was having a sister. I have always wanted a sister.  A few months ago, we were sitting in a restaurant and I was facing a table that was obviously two grown sisters and their mother along with their children. They were so affectionate towards one another's children and so obviously happy in their familial bliss that I couldn't help watching them.  Then, they ordered an entree to share and I found myself doing the stupidest thing- I started crying!  My husband looked at me as if I had 7 heads and asked me why in the world I was crying.  My response was, "I always wanted a sister!" followed by a series of reasons why.  He just shook his head like any confused male would as I turned to my daughters and said, "Girls, you are so lucky to have each other- don't you ever forget that!" 

Now, those of you reading this post who have sisters are probably thinking I'm nuts.  I even had a good friend (the youngest of 4 girls) tell me that it's not all it's cracked up to be.  She explained that sisters can be complicated and sometimes they bring more frustration than joy. But let me tell you- her sisters were there when her babies were born, her sisters are faithful to remember her birthday, her sisters are helping her care for her aging parents, and her sisters most certainly "remember when."  

God has blessed me with lots of wonderful girlfriends along the way.  I have friends from the East Coast to the West Coast and on several continents as well.  However, I've had 16 addresses in my 13 years of marriage, and the constancy of a sister through all of those moves would have been welcomed.  Let's face it, you never have to reconnect with a sister- they just are!

But, the bottom line is, I don't have a sister.  I'll never have a sister.  Yet, I take great joy in the fact that I'm raising three sisters.  They consider one another their best friends.  I delight in the fact that they'll have the opportunity to share all their major life events.  They'll have each other's backs when it comes to boys, bridesmaid dresses, babies, and bad days.  It makes me smile when I help settle their disputes and I am careful to remind them that their sister is their friend forever.  

5 comments:

Angela said...

Thanks for making me CRY!

You thoughts touched me on a couple different levels,....First, as I have 2 sisters...one of whom we have always struggled with each other....and one who is my always best friend....but both that I have a strong bond to and hadn't really thought about how different things would be if I didn't have them.
Secondly, I have an only child. I would love for her to have a sister. It is no secret that I desire more children, biological or otherwise. I often feel guilty about her spending so many hours without another playmate. A sibling for her to be with now and in the years to come. I often feel mommy guilt when it comes to this subject.

(hopefully in 2 more yrs we will be able to afford IVF or have acceptable income for adoption approval...but she will already be 6 by then)

Anyways, that was the longest comment ever on a post....but you did touch me, so I thought I would share.
Thanks for sharing your feelings!

Angela said...

what are the ages of your girls?

Bird's Words said...

Christy,

I wanted you to know that I am praying for you all as you wait for your referral. I know too well the emotional roller coaster that adoption is... we are there right now! I trust God to give you strength for the day.

As for the sister thing.. I would have loved one too. Now I have a FANTASTIC sister in law that I adore (2 of them actually), and it makes it some better!!

I will keep praying...
love to you all...
Holly

Sparkz said...

I think its neat that they all get along. I only have one sister and we STILL don't get along that well. I would love it if we did!

Morgan Family said...

Christy- Thanks for making me cry too!!
I have the amazing blessing of having five sisters, but your blog post was a reminder to me in the midst of sister drama at times to thank God for the blessing of them! My oldest sister is only 13 months older than me. When we were in highschool and would have fights my wise mother would bring out "the picture" one of my sister and I hugging when we were infants and she would say "some day you are going to get a call that your sister is gone.....is this fight over______ worth it to waste time together now?" Wise, wise mothers! :)