Friday, August 22, 2008

Uninspired

Okay, so it's been a month since I've posted on the blog.  Window day has come and gone, and there's really nothing to say.  I have been waiting for some fabulous post to come my way, and I've given up.  I'm uninspired.  So, I've decided that I will give a quick update on the last month, and that will have to be that!
Obviously, there is NO NEWS on the adoption front.  We are at the any day point in the wait.  We are carrying our cell phones faithfully and checking messages frequently knowing it could be any day.  But, realistically looking at where we are on the unofficial list, we don't think it will happen in the next few weeks.  The referrals seem to be coming very slowly, and so the wait goes on.  We still think and pray about it often, but it often seems so unreal and I have to admit I sometimes get discouraged.  God is faithful to remind me of his goodness and his faithfulness when I am willing to listen.
The summer is coming to a busy end for our family.  This is Ryan's busiest season at work. Being a children's pastor who has to oversee the Sunday School promotion of 600 children  and the recruiting and training of 200+ volunteers can make August and September pretty demanding.  I have a good friend whose husband is an accountant and I often refer to this period at our house as our "tax season."  
His busyness this month has been compounded by the fact that he spent two weeks in Asia teaching English classes.  He had a fabulous time and is excited that he should get to return next year.  Of course, he was enamored by the children and would have brought many of them home if he could have.  He certainly favored the children over the pig ear and liver he ate while in the mountains.

One of the many faces that captivated Ryan


Ryan eating some swine part with one of his students


One of Ryan's biggest thrills was being in Beijing on the day of the opening ceremonies for the Olympics.  He got to see the Water Cube and the Bird's Nest

The kids and I have started full force back into our school routine.  This year we are studying history from the Medieval Period up to the American Revolution.  Lizzy just wants to know when we're going to get to the castles and princesses.  She's tired of hearing about the Goths and the monasteries.  We meet every Friday with about 15 other families who use the same curriculum and that started back today.  It's such a great way for us to keep working at a good pace and for the kids to have age appropriate activities to reinforce all of our reading and work at home.
I am going to try to post more regularly.  The period we're in right now reminds me of when you're pregnant and you hit those last few weeks when people call to see if anything is happening.  They say things like "Are you feeling ANYTHING?"  or "When's your next doctor's appointment?"  or "How long are they going to let you go before they induce?"  That part was always a chore for me and I feel like this is the same thing except it could go on for months.  It's gonna be okay though.  I know that on the timeline of eternity, these few months are but a blink of the eye and that it will happen in God's perfect timing.  In the mean time, please pray that my heart will remember what my head already knows.  

5 comments:

Jim and Debbie said...

Hang in there. Good news must be on it's way very soon. Blessings to you all.

lisaqshay said...

Thanks for the updates Christy. Yes, waiting is one of the hardest things we do this side of heaven. I'll pray for peace.
How neat that Ryan was in China!

Enjoying Life Together said...

Even though I've seen you numerous times the past month, I'm glad to know you're "okay" in blog-land.:) ~S

Sparkz said...

I am glad you added another post. I know what you mean, we just made it in the window and I get discouraged often- looking at the FBI list and seeing that you and several other families have been waiting a very long time and have left your window. I agree with you though, its Gods perfect timing, not ours, and I keep having to remind myself of that. I hope you hear news soon and that things pick back up. I bet it was awesome for Ryan to be in China for all that!

Angela said...

beautiful pics from Asia!!

I have been praying for you and your family and the little boy soon to come to your family.