Saturday, August 8, 2009

Daddy's Home!!!

I am not exactly sure where the summer is going, but it is absolutely flying by!  The past several weeks have been pretty demanding for me as Ryan's been traveling lots more than usual.  He went to Pennsylvania for the better part of a week, came home for a week, and then left for nearly 2 weeks in Asia.  He finally came home late last night with no other travel planned in the near future.  We are delighted to have him home at last!  Here are some pictures I snapped this morning while he was unloading his bag full of goodies he'd brought back for us.  

Abe loved his wooden duck toy with the gray eggs and he was also enchanted with the weird stuffed monkey that Ryan found for him.
Everyone eagerly awaits while daddy unpacks
Isaac displaying his "Hero Belt" from the people group that Ryan went to visit.
Handmade purses for the girls

While Ryan was gone, Lizzy spent a week attending Day Camp at New Life camp.  She had a great time with two of her good friends, while Isaac spent his week with their younger brothers.  Isaac spent the day camp hours at Camp Fun Nemitz, hosted by a brave Nemitz mama.  They had a blast bowling, swimming, going to museums and movies.   Abby and Lily got in on the fun with some playdates and time at grandma's.  I felt like a taxi driver all week, but I did manage to get some things done in the afternoons, and the time flew by.

This past Wednesday, I took the kids to the "Moving on Up" party hosted by the middle school ministry at our church. As hard as it is for me to believe, I now have a middle school child!   The event was designed for families with a rising 6th grader to come and meet the middle school ministry staff.  After they went over the structure and expectations, they had fun planned.  There were several inflatables and a gyroscope spinny thing.  I'm not sure  who enjoyed them more- the kids or their crazy parents.

The highlight of the night was definitely when Mr. Randy and Mr. Lynn Mitchell climbed on the gyroscope.  Let's just say that one of them was screaming like a little girl!

Lizzy getting ready for her first turn on the spinning monster!
Isaac resting after racing through the obstacle course.
Lizzy suited up for the velcro wall
Isaac bouncing his way to the velcro wall

It's hard to believe, but school starts in just over a week.  I am slowly getting to the point where I feel prepared for the year ahead.  My biggest challenge and concern is my good friend Abe.  I am not sure exactly how well he's going to adapt to the return to routine and the kids being a little less available to him.  Let's just say that he still hasn't learned to appreciate the beauty of alone time.  I am trying to be creative with planning for his days during the months ahead.   I have had two year olds enough to know that if we can get through this school year, we should be okay.  Let's just say toddlers + homeschool = frustration.  Hopefully, I've learned enough tricks by now to make it work.  We'll see!

2 comments:

Melisa said...

I will pray for you (and Abe), my sister and friend, as you take on this God-given, delightful task f educating your children.

Oh Dear said...

I am accepting tricks for 2 year olds during school as well.