Sunday, May 16, 2010

Big Apple Day 2

I can definitely say that the highlight of our NYC trip was NOT the weather! But, as our second day in the city dawned, we decided to brave the elements and go visit the Lady. Our family had read quite a bit about "Liberty Enlightening the World" before we traveled and their co-op class had studied it thoroughly as well, so Isaac and Lily were over the moon when we boarded the ferry to Liberty Island.



Ryan and I had decided that we weren't going to go inside the statue because we had heard that the security on the island was very time consuming. However, we got on the first ferry of the day and Isaac and Lily really wanted to go in, so we made a last minute decision and got in the security line. I'm glad we did. It did take too long and it was a pain in the neck, but it was a worthwhile experience. Climbing the stairs and seeing the amazing structure was cool. The museum inside the pedestal was also interesting. The kids decided to do the Junior Ranger program and they were thrilled to get their badges.

The view looking up from the pedestal deck

Gathering info for their Jr. Ranger books inside the pedestal museum.

That's a lot of steel holding that girlie up!

Lizzie, proudly showing off her Jr. Ranger badge.

After re-boarding the ferry we headed over to Ellis Island, which is nothing short of amazing. I think it's one of those places that every American should go. I was just in awe at the fortitude of the 1000's of immigrants who once filled that Great Hall. The exhibits were delightful, sobering, and awe-inspiring all at the same time. My only regret is that I couldn't linger longer. It wasn't because the kids lost interest, they were as captivated as Ryan and I. But, we had plans for the afternoon that were worth pushing onward.


Can you imagine having all of your worldly possessions in one of those trunks?
Lizzy is taking it all in
The Great Hall
Two tired tourists!

I did find a book there that I decided I had to have as my NYC souvenir. It's a fascinating book of interviews with Ellis Island immigrants. However, it weighed a gazillion pounds and it was $30. So, I did what any smart mommy would do. I bought it on Amazon the next day for $4.99 and had it shipped to my home. I'm about 30 pages in and I can't wait to devour it this summer.

We left Ellis Island and headed up to midtown to meet the Bonnetts. The Bonnett family attended our church when they were in seminary and have since moved to NY to pastor a church. Their daughter and Abby are kindred spirits and they have really missed one another since they moved away 2 years ago. Kristen Bonnett and I had decided via Facebook that we would celebrate her daughter's birthday together, so that's just what we did. We had a fun time dining at Ellen's Stardust Diner where all of the wait staff are aspiring actor/singers who entertain you while you eat. The kids loved singing along!

She was doing a lovely rendition of "I Wanna be Where the People Are." But, Lily wasn't feeling it.

Isaac and Elijah B.
Lizzy, Hayley B., and Abby

Thanks to the unreal prices on the menu, we were too frugal to order desert, but the server provided some whip cream, an oreo, and a candle to accompany the birthday song.


We followed up our early dinner with a rainy walk through Time Square



Complete with a stop at Toys R Us



Lily and I got to be ferris wheel partners since everyone who is not yet seven must have a grown-up with them.

The Bonnetts also took us to Dylan's Candy Bar, which Abby and I knew all about because of our Ace of Cakes addiction. It was a very unique, 3 story candy store. My favorite thing were the stairs. They were like a clear epoxy with candy all in them- very cool!

That is candy in those stairs!

Saying goodbye in the Subway terminal. Looking forward to their visit next month!



We finished off the night by meeting my cousin Nadia for some scrumptious cheesecake at Roxy's in Time Square. What, you don't go out for cheesecake after visiting a 3 story candy store?



4 comments:

We Are Family said...

CUTE kids!

Pam said...

I am LOVING these NYC posts! It looks like you guys had an amazing time! I so enjoyed my visit with my sister and mom a few years back but look forward to getting to take our kids (of course when they are OLDER--ha!) to see all of the fun sights!

Oh Dear said...

I am requesting a agenda of your trip-what you did on what day and if you are feeling it, tell about how much it cost to enter those cool places....I know cheesecake and candy are extra!

Willing to pay $4.99 to cover the expense of your new book! BTW-could I borrow that too.

Hayley said...

That was a great time! Thanks so much for meeting us for a rainy day of fun. See you soon.