Monday, May 24, 2010

Unexpected benefits


Homeschooling. That's a word that can conjure up a variety of stereotypes, visual images, and preconceived notions in just about everyone. I understand. I once thought all homeschool moms wore denim jumpers, raised chickens, ground their own wheat, and had more kids than they could count. We've been homeschooling for 7 years now, and I still buy my bread and chicken at the local grocery, I donated the last of my denim jumpers to the Goodwill a few years ago, and so far my kid count still fits on one hand... barely.
When we started homeschooling, I had no idea how long it would last. I just knew that I wasn't ready to send my sweet little Abby off to kindergarten just yet. The local school system didn't have the best reputation and I desperately missed teaching. I was committed to being at home for a while as I had 3 young children, and so it just made sense to homeschool. I expected that there would be a few benefits that we could expect. This is what I expected: a flexible schedule for our family, the ability to "protect" Abby from the influence of public school, and the opportunity for her to excel in everything, since she was going to have such a good student teacher ratio.
One of the many things I've discovered on this homeschooling journey is that our expectations and our reality don't always match up. We have enjoyed some of the benefits we expected to see. Our family has had the opportunity to adjust our schedule to meet the needs of our life and ministry. We vacation in the off-season, take occasional weekdays off, and take our school breaks at times that work best for us. Also, for the most part, we have been able to guard the influences our children have been exposed to. However, all of my children have performed at an average grade level when it comes to academic skills. You won't see the Campbell kiddos in any spelling or geography bees anytime soon. I have had to accept that academics is only one part of a solid education.
What has been such a delight though, is seeing the benefits that I never anticipated. These are the things that keep me going when I really want to quit. They aren't what I signed up for, but rather a bonus that I'm so happy to have. Here are a few of my favorite "unexpected benefits" of homeschooling:
  • My children love each other and are truly best friends. They enjoy their non-family friends and they look forward to their outside activities, but at the end of the day, they are ready to be together again. They can play together for hours and truly care for one another.
  • My children relate well to people of all ages. From little bitty babies, to any grandmother they meet, most of my kiddos are comfortable with people. I think this comes from the fact that they are constantly living life through the context of families rather than peers. They haven't figured out that they are supposed to be too cool to watch Sesame Street with their 2 year old brother.
  • Learning together. What fun we have had learning as a family. We have structured our studies so that all of us are studying the Civil War or birds or plant parts at the same time. That means we are able to make observations and discuss those things everywhere we go. When we were studying Ancient Greece, we couldn't go anywhere without the kiddos naming the types of columns they saw on various building. We just finished a Botany study, so today at piano lessons, they were discussing the flowers on the magnolia tree in front of the Music House.
  • Each child has time to develop their unique interests. Because we're not doing homework until 8:00, they have time to pursue sewing, exercising, drawing, or whatever their current interest is.
  • Time to invest in our children. So, I wanted to "protect" them. But, what I found as time went by is that I was less concerned about protecting them and more concerned with equipping them to deal with the temptations and tragedies that will eventually confront them. Because we are together so much, I have been able to learn what character issues each of my children struggle with and what comes easily to them. I have been able to identify areas where they're struggling and challenge them to apply God's word in those areas. We've established a habit of praying for others and they have experienced the power of answered prayers. I guess that finding the time to disciple them has been easier as we're together all the time.
Here is what I am not saying: I am not saying that my children are perfect. Nor am I saying that Ryan and I are perfect. In fact, homeschooling has been one of the things God has used to show us how very wicked and messed up we are. I am also not suggesting that public schools are wrong and homeschooling is right, I know many families who are living out their faith beautifully in the public school setting.
What I am saying is this: There is often fruit that one can harvest through obedience. In my life, I have been able to see that as I have surrendered to God's call for our family to homeschool. It has come with a measure of sacrifice, but it is so worth it!

"I have no greater joy than this, to hear of my children walking in the truth." 3 John 1:4

5 comments:

solas4me said...

AMEN sister!! I second all your comments :)

Hope all is going well!

Melissa

Robin said...

Beautiful post....absolutely beautiful!

Lori Leigh said...

I love this post! Thank you for sharing.

Jennifer said...

I am sooo excited!!! Just found out today that one of my best friends at work us starting the process of adopting a baby boy from Gladney's!!! I am giving her a link to your blog....

Angela said...

THANK YOU so much for taking time to write this down and post it! Casey Chapell sent me the link, because she knew we were making the change BACK to homeschooling with our five children after two years of a great charter school. The first and last benefits you listed are EXACTLY what we have seen begin to vanish and are the precise benefits we are looking forward to cultivating in this first year back.

I am happy to find your blog and look forward to keeping up with you quiver full now :o)

Thanks again!
~Angela