Friday, October 22, 2010

Fun times!

I love to travel, I have 5 children, therefore... I love to camp. Especially in the fall. This past weekend, we did what has become our annual fall camping trip and we had a great time. It was a good blend of fun stuff and doing nothing, which was exactly what we needed. The only problem was, it was too short. Of course, the first night when it POURED rain, with lightning and thunder for 4 hours, I wasn't so sure it would ever end. But, after that little adventure, it proved to be a blast.
Day one, we traveled about 2 1/2 hours from home, to Appomattox, VA where our campground was. We had studied the Civil War this spring, so we were looking forward to going to the site of Appomattox Court House and seeing the "place where our nation reunited." I really thought we'd just be there for a couple of hours. But, the kids had a great time doing the Jr. Ranger program books, so we stayed longer than we'd planned to. If you live in our area, I highly recommend a visit up there. It's $5 for the whole family and it's an amazing piece of US history.

Beautiful; both the Virginia countryside and the boy.

The McLean House, where Grant and Lee met and signed the surrender terms.

Everywhere we went, Abe prided himself with following the big kids by walking on any elevated surface he could find. And trust me, they seemed to be everywhere!

Working hard on their Jr. Ranger books.
Happy to be together.

And I thought they'd never get along. Just this morning, we left Abe at home with Daddy so that we could go to co-op. Lily says from the backseat, while waving to Abe as we're pulling away, "You just can't understand how much I love that boy." Music. to. my. ears.

No comments: