Friday, October 22, 2010

Very Cool Concept

One of my dreams is to be able to travel internationally with my children. The cost is a bit prohibitive, so we settle for camping trips to state parks instead. But, as you can see from our camping trip pictures last weekend, we got a taste of what it might be like to take a trip around the world.

West Africa

England


Ireland


Germany



Betcha' can't guess where we were, can you? Okay, I know the suspense is killing you, so I'll tell you. We were at the Staunton American Frontier Culture Museum. This place was so cool and it is such a novel concept. Basically, they exist to educate people on the frontier history of the Virginia Valley. However, it's not your average living history joint. The "museum" consists of over 200 acres of land divided into the "Old World" and the "New World." They have taken actual homes from the time period and location, and put them all in one place. There are 300 year old homes and farm buildings transported from villages in England, Ireland, and Germany. As we walked through the Old Country and visited with the "inhabitants" they shared their stories and communicated their interest in immigrating to the New World.

Playing with Bridget, a hen in Ireland.

The Irish canisters, consisting of Oatmeal, Ground Oats, and Oat flour. Got oats?
Inside the German home.
Abe, playing in the German farm wagon.

After exploring the Old World, we moved to the New World section where we explored three farms and a school house that were transported from other spots in the Virginia Valley.


Abe's view of an 1820's farmhouse
An 1850's farmhouse
Ryan and I ready to sit down after an afternoon of world travel.

After traveling back in time for the afternoon, we decided to finish our day in Staunton with a quick dinner at a fun joint called Wright's Dairy Rite, which apparently has been serving the fine people of Staunton since 1952. I'm not sure about that, but I know I thoroughly enjoyed my grilled cheese and chocolate milkshake!


2 comments:

Oh Dear said...

So the next time I travel somewhere, I will just contact you to find out what I should do there! We were in Staunton on our 2nd wedding anniversary-it was at a sport type place so we stayed on the grounds. Mark loved it...yep, he did!

The McNeill family said...

Hi friend! I have been enjoying your newest posts! Hooray for your return to blogging!!