Friday, October 22, 2010

I'm back (at least today I am)

Wow, three months since I've blogged. Where to start? So much has happened in our home and in my heart over the last few months. We've celebrated 2 birthdays, had the roughest school year start ever, we've made more doctor's visits than we normally make in a year, and we've revamped our pantry and diet (well, it's a work in progress), not to mention I've just stepped away from the part time job I've held for the last 21 months, because, well, it was time. My family needs my heart at home for a while, and so here I am! It's been crazy and I look forward to catching up on all of it in the blog world, just because it's my favorite way to chronicle our world. My kids find it very frustrating when we do something "memorable" and it doesn't make the blog. So, I suppose I'll start from here and work backwards.
So, for this week's memorable event... let me just say, I am a fair girl. I grew up going to the fair and in the area where I was raised, county fairs were a big deal. My parents always looked forward to going to their hometowns for the fair every year. In fact, my mom has only missed the county fair in her home county a few times in her entire life and she and my dad just made the 9 hour pilgrimage again a few weeks ago.
I'm not sure what I love best, the humungous pumpkins, the baby animals, the cakes and quilts, or the fried dough. Not to mention the lights, the rides, the 57 booths giving away free pencils, and the cotton candy. It's just such a festive atmosphere and it celebrates so much of what I love about the good ole' USA.
Now here in NC, the county fair isn't quite the event that it was in my hometown. In fact, our county doesn't even have a "county fair." I know... it's terrible! But, we do live only 40 minutes from the state fairgrounds, so annual opportunities for candy apples still abound. However, let's be realistic. We have 5 children, and taking 5 children to the fair is expensive. Even when you do it frugally, it can still add up fast. So, we haven't been the last 2 years. It just hasn't made the budget priority list.
This year, I was determined we were going. So, we planned ahead, used every discount we could find, and made it happen. We spent our day Tuesday exploring the wonders of the North Carolina State Fair, and it was a hit. Everyone had fun, but Lily and Abe had no idea what to expect, so they were especially thrilled by all of it. Here are a few highlights from the day:

Lizzy and Isaac with Rock-it Robot who thrilled Isaac and absolutely terrified Abe!

The whole crew in one HUMUNGOUS chair.

The thrills of the fun house!

Abe experiencing the full thrill of the "monster trucks."
Isaac posing with one of the many barnyard animals made of recycled materials which was scattered across the fairgrounds. He picked the turkey in honor of his Pap, the hunter.
That's what I'm talking about, who doesn't like a little artificial color every now and then?

The one in the middle... 800+ pounds. Wow, could I make some pumpkin bread with that bad boy!
Goofing off on those poor innocent punkins.

Now that's how you carve a pumpkin.

So big, so fast, sigh.


3 comments:

We Are Family said...

WELCOME BACK!

Pam said...

Yay for the Campbell blog being back in action!!! ☺

(It's so funny how I feel like we walked EVERY inch of that fairground and still managed to not see some of the things you have pictured!)

Grammie said...

What a wonderful time at the fair. You know fairs do hold a special place in my heart. They hold such great family time together. I very much enjoy your blog.