Sunday, February 24, 2013

I Have to Admit...

that this silly dog has been a big ole blessing. 

 I readily admitted here that I was not eager to get a dog. It was definitely not my idea.  But here and now, I will admit, it was a really, really good choice for our family.  All of the things I worried about from the start like dog hair, messes, and maintenance are an issue, but nothing compared to the fun and joy he has brought to our family. 

He is so loving and fiercely loyal.  He absolutely loves the kids.  Everyday when I am sitting at the table and studying my Hausa, I know when the kids have been allowed outside for recess because Snickers races to the door and cries until I let him out to jump on the trampoline.  He lives for recess.

 He is a fierce protector.  No one gets through our door without his approval.  We don't need a doorbell, he announces visitors before they can get to the actual door.  He makes darn sure they know they better take a step back.  Normally, once he sees we're okay with them, he's happy to let them pass by.  

Well, most of them.  But definitely not our plumber.  He hates our plumber.  Our Nigerian friends insist that is because everyone knows that our plumber's tribe eats dog.  According to them, dogs know if people eat dogs.  I don't know if it's true, but I do know that none of the dogs on our compound like this man.  Anyway, that's how I managed to get the photo you see here.  Our plumber had come to fix a faucet.  Snickers went spastic, like always, so he got shut into the side room that attaches to our kitchen until he could get a grip.  I kind of forgot about him and an hour or so later, when I was preparing  dinner, he climbed up on the couch and stuck his head up on the ledge of the opening into our kitchen with a "Hey, what about me?" look.  I couldn't help but laugh.

I am very thankful that I got suckered into this puppy.  I caved because I thought it would be good for my children, but he has ended up bringing delight to all of us.  Not to mention, we've decided that someday, I need to write a book about this wild adventure God has led us on called, "Snickers Joins the Circus."

"If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!"  Matthew 7:11

1 comment:

Grammy of 6 said...

You are so right, Snickers is a wonderful blessing. He even loves kaka.