Sunday, February 17, 2013

Where Did the Month Go?

I'm not sure where my days have been going, but they have been absolutely flying by.  We haven't had anything too spectacular happen, but here are some highlights from our last month.

  • My mom got home without any problems.  I don't really have pictures of our last week together, because she got very sick and we did not get to have many adventures the last week.  She did get to experience a Nigerian hospital, which was really, really rough.  She was admitted into one of the nicest rooms they offer, which was "nice" because it came with a private bathroom.  There was not, however, a toilet seat on the toilet, nor was the water actually running during our time there.  Thankfully, we had fine care from an American doctor who did what he could and got us out of there in about 8 hours.  She was able to get the IV fluids she needed and rest at home for the rest of the week.  She was pretty irritated that she was taking high quality anti-malarials and still managed to get malaria.  But, unfortunately, that's Africa for you!
  • We did get to enjoy a couple of days together in Abuja before she left.  Ryan and I debated how we should handle the goodbyes, knowing they would be tough.  We finally decided to tackle them at the guest house, rather than the airport.  So, only Ryan and Lily took her to the airport while I stayed back and consoled the others.  It was awful.  They cried, which made me cry.  About the time I would get one of them settled, another one would start again.  Finally, I had everyone under control when Lily came in and had her meltdown, explaining that she had tried so hard to be brave but she was just so sad.  It was really not fun.  Even the next morning, I looked at my husband and said, "Today, the only reason I'm going back to our house and not getting on an airplane to America is because I'm hopeful that the kids will get cheap college tuition for being MKs.  Tomorrow or another day, I may be here for the right reasons, like impacting eternity, but today, I'm staying for the college tuition."  I'm happy to report that I am back to having slightly better motives, but it was a rough couple of days.  Those are the times when you really wonder if the cost is worth it.
  • Upon returning home, we had a meeting with all of the other workers in our country.  We met with some of our national brothers and sisters to help us understand what local churches and conventions are doing, so that we can better partner with them.  While everyone was in town for the meeting, we took the opportunity to have a little baby shower for one of our families who is about to have their first baby.  I attempted to make a cake, using my limited resources here.  The new mommy was happy, so it was a success.  Entertaining is so different here.  So many of the things I worried about in the States just can't matter here.  It can't matter that I need to spread the icing thinner because butter is $10 a pound.  It can't matter that the shades of pink in the napkins and plates don't match.  I need to remember to be thankful that we found pink plates at all.  It can't matter that there is no ice because there hasn't been electricity.  I know these things don't bother anyone other than me and I'm having to learn to overlook them and remind myself that I'm not trying to create Pinterest perfection, just some good fellowship.  
Here we are, ready to celebrate a special baby girl!

  • After our meetings ended, it was FINALLY time to return to routine.  After Kenya, Christmas, and mom's visit, we were ready for routine.  We were happyy to welcome our teacher back and start school full force again.  I have been increasing my language time again, in the hopes of advancing as much as possible before we lose Ms. Laura, our teacher, at the end of May.  This means my weekdays are filled with juggling my part of the kids schooling, studying for my lessons, having my lessons, supervising our house helpers, and making sure that meals are ready.  Oh, and did I mention being a wife and mom?  I tell you, my current pace is not sustainable.  I just pray that it's sustainable until May 31st and that I will become miraculously fluent in Hausa between now.  
  • Of course, even with all of my attempts at routine and self-discipline, I'm a sucker for holidays.  So, this week, we took time to celebrate with lots of red and pink.  Our tradition is to have a special breakfast.  We enjoyed heart shaped sausage pinwheels and danish, made with our (not so) easy homemade crescent roll recipe.




The kids got a special lunch of Cheetos and turkey sandwiches, which are both a rare treat here.  We even busted out some of the cherry Jello folks have sent us and enjoyed jigglers for dessert.


2 comments:

Oh Dear said...

Oh Christy,
I appreciate your honesty and had to laugh because I too have to adjust my motives at times. Like the time I went on a white water rafting trip with a toddler and in those first sickening weeks of a pregnancy.

Regan said...

I think you did an amazing job! What a hostess you are. And your honesty makes me smile. There isn't a person alive who can't relate to you! :)
Much love,
Regan