Friday, August 30, 2013

I'm just gonna be honest and say it...

if you want to comfort me, don't tell me that it's gonna be okay because my mama's going to be in heaven.  My tears have nothing to do with any uncertainty I have about my mama's eternal home.  I fully realize that very, very soon she's gonna be safe in the arms of her saviour.  If anything, I envy her that.

My tears don't come for that reason.  They come as I slip on the last pair of pajama pants she made me and I realize that never again will we spend too much money together at the fabric store.  Never again, will she make my children dress-up costumes or whip up beautiful window treatments for me.

They come when I look at pictures of she and my children together and realize there will be no more of those.  No more beach trips, no more strawberry picking adventures, no more Sunday dinners with her amazing augratin potatoes.  I cry for my sweet Abe who likely won't remember how very much she loved him.  I cry for my Lily, born on my mama's 60th birthday and realize that never again will they share a birthday cake.  I cry for the weddings and graduations she won't attend.  

They come when I realize that my biggest cheerleader is about to leave this earth.  The one who has spent the last two years gathering our birthday and Christmas requests and packing them into exactly 50 pound suitcases, driving them to wherever she can to find them a "free ride" across the Atlantic.  She is the one who has grieved deeply because of our move and yet has chosen to pray and serve rather than criticize.

I cry because it has happened so fast.  And I don't think it's fair.  I never dreamed that all of our lasts would be our lasts.  I would have savored them more.  I would have drank them in more fully.  I'm just not ready.

I cry because I am so proud of the way she has drawn closer to Christ in these last years.  I see the way that she has taken the wounds of her early years and allowed the Lord to redeem the years that the locust have eaten.  How she has exchanged her deep pain for a deep, deep, love for people.  It makes me so sad that her loss will bring sorrow to so many folks that she has loved well.

Tears fall when I realize how blessed I was to call her my mom and how much I wish that I had realized that 20 years earlier.  I cry as we have literally welcomed scores of people over the last week who simply needed to tell her that they love her and to thank her for loving them well.  When I look at the enormous bouquet that her Chick-fil-a manager sent because of her constant encouragement or the letters and well wishes she's received from senators and officials that she's advocated for in her constant quest for justice and freedom, I cry.  I cry because the loss simply seems too great for me in those moments.

So, if you want to encourage me, please don't tell me that soon my mama will be in heaven.  Instead, remind me that I have every right to cry, because this is rotten and this fallen world is disgusting.  Agree with me that this is a significant loss.  Remind me that death was not God's plan and it most definitely sucks.  Tell me the ways that my mama impacted you.  And when you do, the flood of tears may come, but that's okay.  Because this is hard and my tears don't indicate a lack of faith or a questioning of what's next.  They are simply evidence of a great sorrow that is most certainly valid.   


"You keep track of all my sorrows.
    You have collected all my tears in your bottle.    
You have recorded each one in your book."
Psalm 56:8




10 comments:

Katy said...

I have been shedding tears with you and I have never even met your sweet mamma! I've cried because your mom and dad were the ones that were there for us when we were far away from my father-in-law. When he needed rides to to the doctors, visit and errands, they were there for him (and for us). I'm crying because one day in the halls of the church, you were the one that greeted me and gave me a hug that I needed, wishing I could give you a big hug now. I am so sorry and please know that we love you all, we are praying for you and your precious family.

Oh Dear said...

This is beautiful Christy. So honored to have met your mama and catch a small glimpse of her growing faith as she encouraged you on the field via FB post. That woman could make just about anything and what I recall most is her laughter! She found us silly girls entertaining and I always felt welcomed around her.

lisaqshay said...

(You may have gotten this in email form, but here it goes)
Oh Christy,
Please whisper words of love and adoration to your mom, from me. I have loved her so. Please tell her she had such an impact on me. Jesus' fragrance oozed out of her. We bonded when you moved. We shared sweet stories of daughters and mothers who loved thru the hard times and the difficulties. She was such an encouragement to me when it was our turn to moved and even after.
When we would come to Faith in NC for a visit, she ALWAYS found a way to get to me despite the crowds of wellwishers. I could spot her a mile away. Waiting patiently and determinedly to give me a hug. She'd pull back, hold my hands and with tears in her eyes tell me she loved me and how she was praying for me and the family. She'd ask how we were. How we REALLY were. I could tell her the truth at times when it was hard. She was safe. I trusted her. I love her so very much. I can't imagine coming to Faith in October and not seeing her there in foyer. She was serving our whole crew from HBG, PA when we came in last May for a weekend trip. She worked in the kitchen with Laura Shaw, doing dishes and food prep. It's unimaginable that should would get so very ill so quickly.
I am so very sorry for your pain. I am praying as that is all I can do. I love you, Christy.
I pray that you have opportunity after opportunity to see God over and over and over again through this excruciating journey. He is the only One who can hold us an comfort us well.
One day, when we all see Jesus -
what a day of rejoicing that will be.
But until then, we rely on Him to see us through the darkest of days.

In loving prayer and thoughts,
Lisa

Unknown said...

Christy, I shared this one with my cousin. My aunt passed away the Monday after Easter, and Amanda is still counting the months even though there is no doubt where her mother is. When someone is such a strong influence on your life, it's ok to feel the loss even when you know it is an eternal gain for them and that the pain is gone. My aunt was in hospice care on Easter Sunday with her children and her sisters there. She was awake 2 times that day, both times were in response to her pastor reading the Easter story. I so know what you are going through, and am sitting here crying for you and for the days that come. You phrased it all perfectly for those of us who have walked your path. I'm sorry you have been given so little time. Treasure every minute that you have been given. I will continue to pray for you, and your family during this transition.

Anonymous said...

Christy, Please tell your mom how much I love her and what a blessing she has been to me. It is ok to cry and mourn. My mom died under almost identical circumstances with cancer 25 years ago this past June 23. I still cry and regret that she wasn't here for my children to know and love on. One of mine was only 6 months old at the time. And hardly a day goes by that I don't think at some point "I wish she was here with me"

As I read your blog, I want to wrap my arms around you and cry with you. Please know that I am praying for all of you. Remember in the days that you can only fall down and say "Lord", He is there to be your Abba and will carry you thru.

I am praying for your peace and comfort in the days ahead.

Because of Calvary,
Kim Lovelace

Unknown said...

I don't know you or your Mom. This post has brought tears to my eyes and I agree with everything you say. It is not easy and yes you need to cry and release you emotions !!Your Mom must have been some kind of great lady and will be missed by many people .....May God Bless You and Your Family . I know he will help you thru this time of loss !!

Christie said...

Oh, Christy, I am so sorry. The fastness of this astounds me, and you're right - this was never God's plan. I read this post bawling my eyes out. Your mom sounds like she was a beautiful person who touched many people. And your tears only show that all the more....

I am so sorry....

stampinjane said...

Christy - you asked us to tell you how your mother impacted our lives...the following was my status in your mother's honor...

jane



A Life Well Lived
I’m sad today…still trying to absorb the shock…and I really don’t understand…but I know it’s not my place to question as God knows best.
My heart is heavy.
Last night, the Lord brought home one of his shining stars.
Although I did not know her well, she impacted my life in the short time that our paths intersected.
Vi was in my Sunday School class, and was an example of the kind of Godly woman I strive to be. She was vivacious and outgoing. She stood up for what was RIGHT - even when it was HARD. She reached out – and lifted up. She not only believed in the power of prayer – but practiced it and encouraged others to do so as well. She was involved – seemingly in everything. Helping the needy, working in the political arena, community outreach ministry, loving those she encountered along the way…Practicing what we hear preached week after week – Setting an Example.
How or why she had to leave so suddenly has truly confounded me … and I know that there is rejoicing in heaven – the rest of us are feeling deprived because of what she added to others’ lives.
We are to conform to the likeness of Christ – to be the salt & light in the darkness – and I felt Vi was a living, breathing example of this worthy goal.
She will be greatly missed, but I know that one day, when our paths cross again, She will be in the midst of it all – praising, worshipping and shining!
Rest in peace, Vi.

Lauren J said...

I didn't have the pleasure of knowing your mom, but I do know of this incredible legacy she is leaving. You and Ryan and your wonderful children are evidence of what an amazing lady she was. I have prayed and cried with you through this journey. Your faith never ceases to amaze me. Love you.

Bethel said...

Christy, I know first hand that when you lose your mother you have lost the greatest friend you will ever have on this earth. My heart grieves for all of you. Find strength in knowing that even though she is gone her love will forever be with you and that is a love that you can pass through your children and grandchildren to all humanity. Remember the good memories and laugh with your loved ones. Good memories are the only ones that count. Love to all of you.