Saturday, February 22, 2014

Birthday at the Beach

We were supposed to go to the beach for my 40th birthday, WAY back in November.  But somebody got a stomach virus and we partied with a bucket all night long instead. Since then, life has been crazy busy and we simply haven't made a trip to the beach a priority.
So, when some friends of ours asked us if we wanted to take a day trip to the beach to celebrate their daughter's 2nd birthday, we were thrilled to do it.  It was fun to spend time with friends, celebrate one of our favorite 2 year olds, and decompress with the sand and the surf all day long.  As we were lugging our bags back to the car, we all asked each other why we don't do this more often.  Of course, we were reminded of the answer during our 3 hour trip home (the one that Google maps considers a 1 hour and 22 minute drive.)  Alas, Accra traffic or not, we've promised ourselves we won't wait so long until the next time.

Here are a few pictures of our day at the beach:
This is Abe.  Two hours into our "1 hour and 22 minute trip."  At this point he has resorted to wearing his sisters floppy beach hat and making googly eyes at whomever will notice him.

 This was early in the day, before Lizzy lost her sunglasses to the Atlantic.

 We picked up two clearance boogie boards last fall when we were in the States and brought them back with us. They wear a big, big hit!

Here's Lily was ready to eat her yummy birthday cupcake.
I'm pretty sure the birthday girl enjoyed hers as much as any of us!

Sometimes I really, really miss the preschool years with my kids (other times I thank the Lord he gave me those in my 20s and 30s!)  Today was one of those days when I was reminded of how sweet they are.  Our birthday girl was quite frightened by the water initially.  I was holding her as I stood with my feet near the water and every time I tried to put her down, she'd curl her legs up instead of putting her feet in the water.  After a while, Abby sat on the sand with her and let her have closer and closer encounters with the water, which she decided she liked.


   After a while, she decided she loved the water.  I love this picture of her with her daddy, waiting anxiously for the next wave.

Then, she got brave enough to do it on her own.  How precious!

Tonight I'm thankful for sweet friends, God's beautiful creation, SPF 50 sunscreen which was applied 3 times, and the Solarcaine that I'm still having to use tonight!

2 comments:

Sandy Lethco said...

Thank you for sharing these pictures of the birthday girl! I'm so glad Emily, Scott and Lucy have good friends like you guys!

The McNeill family said...

Christy, we met this family over Christmas break in Greenwood, South Carolina! We were visiting my parents and David & I attended our 'old' church while we were there! :) We even talked to Scott about your precious family! SO cool that you posted these pics!!! Love you!