Thursday, February 6, 2014

Embassy Errand

Earlier this week, my two youngest children and I went to the US Embassy to get passport pages added.  First of all, can I say that $82 for someone to add a half dozen pages to my passport with packaging tape seems a bit steep to me?  Multiply that by 7, and well, it's ridiculous.  But, that's enough about that, I'm just thankful to have it.

Since I've moved overseas, I have this mental list of "things every American ought to experience."  One of them is definitely visiting the American embassy while living in another land.  I'm not sure why I find it so cool.  Maybe it's because I am a patriot at heart?  I don't know.  I just think there is something so special about seeing the Stars and Stripes flying in the wind, right smack dab in this foreign place.  It's also incredibly humbling to walk past rows and rows of African nationals who are dressed in their best clothes, waiting for a turn at the window, and praying that their visa will be granted.  Literally, every time I have been, they all stare at me and my blue and gold passport with almost an awe as I waltz right up to the American Citizens Service window.  They wait in these long rows while I am in and out in 10 minutes.  It always reminds me that I am blessed in ways that I don't even realize.

Anyway, after our visit this week, Ryan, Lily, and I had this conversation:

Ryan:  How was the embassy?
Me:  It was fine.  Oh Lily, tell daddy what we saw!
Lily:  Um, an American flag?
Me:  Yeah, that was pretty cool, but that wasn't what I was thinking of.
Lily:  Um, oh, I know, a big lawnmower that a man was riding on!
Me:  Well, that was neat too, but I was thinking of something that you don't usually see.
Lily:  Ohhh.  I know, American TV was playing on the wall!
Me:  Really, Lily?
Lily:  A lot of white people working there?
Me:  (with a slight tone of frustration)  Okay, but what did we see that was really, really cool and our friends in America will probably never see it?
Lily:  (Thinks for a minute)  Hmmm.  Oh, well, we saw a chief in kente cloth with a crown on his head and another man walking behind him with a big gold rod and there were about 5 other people who stood up every time that he stood up and they were all dressed in fancy clothes.  Is that what you're talking about?
Me:  Yes Lily, that's what I was thinking of, didn't you think that was cool?
Lily:  (shrugs shoulders)  Yeah, I guess so.

So, all of you John Deere lawn tractor owners out there, apparently your mowers are more exciting than an African tribal chief in full regalia, complete with his entourage!  Crazy kids!

No comments: