Saturday, November 6, 2010

Provision

A few weeks ago, when we were on our camping trip, we decided to make our way back to Carter Mountain Orchard in Charlottesville. It really is an amazing place. Both an orchard and a vineyard, it is situated atop a mountain and the views are breathtaking (the hot donuts are pretty incredible too!) We went there last fall, and everyone in the family agreed that getting back there this fall was a "must."

Both times I've been, one of the things that has amazed me is just the simple act of plucking loads of beautiful, sweet, and juicy fruit right off the tree. I guess I've just been living a "grab it from the grocery store" kind of life for too long, because I am floored by the fact that the fruit is hanging there in such amazing volumes just waiting for someone to come along and take it off. I left there with a strong desire to plant some fruit trees. I know, it's so impractical at this stage of the game.

As we were sitting on the side of the mountain staring at the rows and rows of apple trees, literally as far as the eye could see, it struck me once again how very confident I am that there is a creator. I was reminded that He is also my provider and that it was His plan for the earth to bear fruit like apples and grapes and pumpkins to feed His children. While I'm glad that I don't have to garden to have food to eat, I sort of envy those who get to. It seems like there would be such a rewarding feeling to eating and sharing something you've helped to cultivate. Who knows, I might just try it some time.

On a mission to find the perfect apples!

How about this one?
Or this one?
Okay, so really all of the best apples are at the top of the trees!

Wait, here's one someone could reach without Daddy's help.

After all of that hard work, we decided to indulge in some hot apple cider donuts. Oh my...heavenly!

I have to say, that when I'm willing to watch for God's hand, it's so easy to see his provision in my life. I have a great example just from this week. Ryan and I had been thinking about going away next weekend for a couple of days. We didn't want to take a fancy trip, we simply wanted to be someplace quiet where we could talk and spend some time in prayer about all that has happened and needs to happen in the next few months. It is my birthday next weekend and I thought that would be the perfect present, a couple days of R&R. We talked to my mom about helping us with the kiddos, and got that set up. But, I couldn't bring myself to make the reservations. I just didn't have a peace about spending the money. Yet, I really felt like we needed the time away. So, I simply prayed a couple of weeks ago and explained to the Lord that I didn't feel like this was the right time to spend this amount of money, even though it wasn't outlandish. I explained to him that I really felt that we truly needed to get away but I needed assurance about the expense.

Well, I waited, and no assurance came. There wasn't an unexpected check in the mail. In fact, every one of our monthly bills came in a little higher than normal. I was sad, but I resigned myself to the fact that we would stay home. I thought that at least we'd have my mom keep the kids overnight one night so that we could have a date night and a chance to sleep in on Saturday. It wasn't the R&R I'd hoped for, not with the laundry pile taunting me from the other side of the room! But, it was what I was going to choose to be thankful for.

Then, this week, a volunteer in our children's ministry stopped in to meet with Ryan for a few minutes. He was sharing a bit about the insanity that is currently our world and she was encouraging. Before she left, she explained that she and her husband own a home on the coast and they would love for us to use it when we need some R&R. Needless to say, we were thrilled. She had no idea that we already had a "getaway" planned, with no place to "getaway." So, Thursday, we're headed to complimentary lodgings just far enough away to meet our needs. It's a quiet town in the off season. In fact there will only be a few eateries open, and not much else to do. Sounds perfect for two people who've been going 100 miles an hour for the last 11 months, doesn't it?

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.

No comments: