Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Still catching up!

My mother is one of eleven children. ELEVEN. Do you know what that means? I have cousins. Lots and lots of cousins. One of the things I miss most about living 9 hours from my hometown is that my kiddos don't have the chance to know my extended family like I wish they did. We had not been there since my parents moved here 3 years ago. So, I was excited this summer when we got the opportunity to go "home" for a few days.

The reason for our visit was the wedding of one of my cousins. This particular cousin is one that my children know and love because she, her mother, her sister, and their families comes to spend Easter with us each year. This has been our tradition every year for as long as I can remember. My kids think that Nadia and her new husband, Steve, hung the moon. So, we were honored that Ryan was able to perform their wedding ceremony in Cincinnati in August.


Sweet cousin Nadia and Uncle Jim


Sister of the Bride, Charity. The cousins gave a butterfly release as a gift to the bride and groom, one of the butterflies decided to hang out on Charity's bouquet. The kids had a great time chasing them after the ceremony.


One of the traditions in our family is that brides get a quilt made by the 7 sisters of my mom's family. This is Nadia's quilt.

Lily made the evening especially exciting because she chose to eat 2 peanut butter M&Ms off of the candy bar at the reception before anyone caught it. After a little (or not so little) allergic reaction, we got to spend part of the reception in an ambulance where she got a nice injection of antihistamines. That's us, always making those special memories. The funny thing is, she now refers to the dress she wore to the wedding as her "peanut dress."

Isaac and Lily cooling off outside the reception. Lily is wearing her "peanut dress" and if you look closely, you can see her ambulance band-aid on her arm.

All in all, it was a very fun evening and it was such a treat for me to see loved ones I had not seen in far too long. My kids made fast friends with the cousins who fall into their generation and had a great time dancing the night away.

1 comment:

Hayley said...

Oh Lilly, she makes me laugh. Those aprons are so cute! (Wrong psot, I know) See you soon.