Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Making Sense of it All

It’s lunch time. Normally, I would be in the cafeteria during this time. Instead I’m eating mac n cheese in my quad. I had to come here today because I needed to take some time to process what I’ve been hearing for the last day and a half. You see, our speaker has been sharing with us about the persecuted church. The man who is teaching us has spent hundreds of hours interviewing nearly 600 believers who have lived through significant persecution because of their faith. We’ve heard some of their stories and I’ve been overwhelmed by their testimonies. That’s heavy stuff.

We’ve also been learning about ways to be effective in cultures where the church is persecuted- some dos and do nots. He has led us in learning about the characteristics of those who walk victoriously through persecution. It’s good information to have.


I’ve come to a realization that I had somehow missed during my long tenure in the American church and I’m not sure that I like it. You see, if you examine the church planting movements in Acts, you realize that persecution is normal. Imprisonment, stoning, angry mobs, these were the norm. I’m not sure where the American church came up with the idea that persecution is abnormal, but that’s what we believe. I guess the question I’ve been asking myself the last couple of days is, why aren’t we being persecuted here in America? The only thing that I can come up with is that we aren’t moving and telling and ministering to those who don’t know in such a way that persecution is even necessary. Satan is using the tools and of embarrassment and fear so effectively, that he’s not having to resort to imprisonment or death. Wow.


God has used this time to really challenge my thinking and to recognize that so much of what I believe is so upside down. One thing that has really affected me is the speaker’s own story. This man and his wife buried one of their own children in Africa. This child died of an asthma attack. Do you hear me? An ASTHMA attack, for crying out loud! They were in Africa... because that’s where God called them and that’s where God called their son. I don’t know if American medical care would have made a difference at all, but I wonder if their minds have ever gone there. I wonder if they’ve wrestled with that?


Now remember, I’m the momma of 2 asthmatic children. Two asthmatic children who have peanut allergies. And, God has called my family to one of the top peanut producing countries in the world. Needless to say, I’ve spent the past 24 hours in a sort of come to Jesus meeting. Because all along, after praying and fasting and feeling confident that God has called us to go where we’re going, I have fought off the temptation to worry about these 2 children by telling myself that if God calls us there, he’ll protect out children. He loves our children more than I do and I can trust him with them. And the bottom line is, that last night, when everything settled down and it was just me and God, I had to ask myself a difficult question. What if God, in his infinite wisdom, chose to let one of my children perish in Africa, regardless of my obedience to him. Heaven forbid, but what if?


And then I began to ask myself these questions...Do I believe that God’s word is true. Do I believe that Matthew 28 is really a command? Do I believe that Jesus really was telling the truth when he said that he is the only way to the Father. Do I really long to see a multitude from every language, people, tribe, and nation knowing and worshipping our Lord Jesus Christ? Do I believe that to live is Christ and to die is gain, just as the Apostle Paul said? And, when I asked myself these questions, I had to answer a resounding yes to every one of them. So, that leads me to only one appropriate response and that, my friends, is obedience.


Then the next set of questions came. What if, it really happened? Would I be able to walk through another day? What if I had to make a phone call back to the states and tell my parents, my church, the families of my children’s friends that the inconceivable had happened. Would I ever be able to get through the condemnation? Would the guilt, the anger, the sorrow be more powerful than my call to lostness? Overwhelming questions for a frail little human like me.


Here is where I have settled. I don’t know. I can’t know. Hopefully I’ll never HAVE to know what that sort of loss would do in my life. But, I do know this. God’s grace is sufficient. Just as He has given me the grace, strength, courage, and wisdom to shoulder everything he’s called me to as of today, he will give me the grace, strength, courage, and wisdom that I need for all of my tomorrows. He’ll give it to me, only when I need it, not a moment before then.


Please understand, I have no intention of endangering my children. I have no desire to be a martyr or a widow. But, I do desire to be obedient and in that obedience I have to face the reality that God isn’t conventional. He doesn’t always work in the way that the my privileged, western, democracy oriented mind thinks that he should. It’s a lot to think about, but it’s a reality I needed to think through and wrestle with.

8 comments:

Oh Dear said...

WOW, what am I doing??? I needed this challenge!

jan said...

there are no easy answers, but i do know fear (translate: worry) never ever helps. as you've heard a thousand times, the safest place is in the center of His Will. tough stuff that every mom and dad can understand....

Beth said...

Wow, Christy. Very tough stuff to wrestle with. I do know a tiny sliver of what you are feeling, because when Spc. Lucas Elliott was killed in Iraq, a boy that I knew and who played baseball with my boys and whom I knew was covered in prayer, then I had to come face to face with the realization that my son was also in such a place. And there is a possiblity that coming home safely from this war might not be God's will for him. And that is frankly devastating to contemplate. So we are left in this raw place as mommas, of wrestling with God and realizing that while we petition for our children's safety and happiness, what He's trying to teach us to submission to His will. And it is HARD.

Anonymous said...

Oh, friend. I have struggled with these [almost exact] same issues. Praying for the Father to give you wisdom and peace and faith...

Grammie said...

Just want to let you know how very much I love you. I have no real words to express a response to what you have said, because they run too deep. You are in God's will and in the end that is what really matters.

Tami said...

Christy, do you wonder if your mom feels the same way with you going? Is she questioning times when you were younger that she encouraged you to "GO"? Did she ever pray that God use you and your life in a mighty way? God's plan has always been His plan. We don't have that kind of power. We choose to follow and obey not knowing the outcome of obedience or the disobedience. Goodness, I get worried when I've invited my kids to come see me for the weekend thinking how bad it would be if something happened to them while on the road. I am so thankful for your transparency and just being real. I'm praying for every last one of you and an abundance of epi pens that go completely unused. I love the Campbells, God loves them so much more.

Sharon Rankin said...

God Bless you Christy, You hit the nail on the head . Our western Christianity I feel has no idea the true meaning of picking up our cross and following Him daily. Why is it that so much importance is in God's word to put on the "Full" armor of God?????? I just returned from Israel 1 wk ago today. Went with not much support from some of my family and friends.....
This is a dangerous time for Israel and the Jewish, and in the worlds eyes not a safe place to go to. But when you know God has called you to do something, you know he will protect you and provide for "ALL" your needs. When I get overwhelmed I just close my eyes and remember when Peter" Got Out" of the boat and walked to Jesus......All we have to do is cry out to Him in our hour of need. HE is ALWAYS there.

Thank you for your words of comfort I have been seeing the condition of western christianity for a while and my heart aches.....I will be praying for you all... Sharon

MadonnaFJ said...

Such thought-provoking, and powerful words Christy. Thank You so much for sharing them. It helps me to define my prayers for you, Ryan, and the kids.
With Love, Madonna