Thursday, January 19, 2012

Awkward.

For years, I've had a heart for people who serve overseas doing what my family is about to embark upon. Literally, since I was a little girl those people have fascinated me. I've always wanted to serve them when our paths have crossed, but I've never really known how to do it well. It's always felt very awkward. Now that I've walked about 1/10 of a mile in their moccasins, I have had a lot of realizations that I'd like to share with those of you who might want to serve and minister to these folks like I do. I'm sure I'll have far more knowledge in 3 or 4 years and I'll look back on this post with humor. Like, you know, once I've actually left the continent. But here's what I can tell you for now that I've discovered about this new life journey:

  • We need prayer. It's not just something we say because it's the right thing to say. We literally depend on the prayers of the body. Just as much, we need to know that you're praying, so an occasional e-mail or FB note is a welcome thing.
  • We are not superheroes. We don't have any special powers. We do not want the American church to elevate us. We're ordinary people who have surrendered to God's call on our life. Our kids throw tantrums, we get irritated with our spouses, we are tempted to doubt God's power. We need your friendship, not your awe.
  • We miss community. Words cannot express how much we miss our church. We have full confidence that we will find another type of community in our new city, but it will be very different. In some ways, we will always long for our familiar American worship.
  • We want to share what is happening in our lives, so please listen. It's really hard because part of our heart is in the States and part of it is with our work. We want to engage in your world and we want you to engage in our world. At the same time, things have changed for us and we aren't the same people that we were before. Just knowing that there are people who will listen to the details and allow us to think aloud and share what is happening is a good thing. God is changing us in amazing ways and we aren't sure how to process it all, be patient with us. We promise not to show you any hour long slide shows of us wearing native clothing and chasing giraffes. Maybe 30 minute power points, but not hour long slide shows.
  • Remember our kids. Notes, cards, e-mails. They mean so much to our family. Not because of what they say but because they show them that somebody remembers them. Our kids love to know that they are not forgotten and that there are friends who are holding them up. From everything we've read and observed, our kids can and will continue to struggle with where their "home" is. It is our prayer that instead of feeling that they have no home, they will have multiple homes and that when we're in the states, there will be people who are willing to invest in them and pour into them for those windows of time.
  • Pursue us. In the months ahead, we know that we will become even more disconnected from what once was. Communication will become more challenging for us. We may not be able to answer every e-mail promptly. Don't stop sending them. I know you're busy too, but when the Lord brings us to mind, we'd love to hear from you!
We are so thankful to be leaving behind so many people whom we love and who have loved us so well. I have told my children many times through faces full of tears that we should be thankful that this hurts so bad because this means that we have been blessed with lots of love. I keep reminding them that there are more people to love just around the corner. I can't wait to see who they might be.

3 comments:

Enjoying Life Together said...

Praying for you! Hugs from TN!!

Oh Dear said...

THANK YOU for this list!!!!

I shall continue to harrass you!

The Roberts Eight said...

you are right on! we've been overseas almost 4 years and you just hit the nail on the head! way to go!