Tuesday, January 31, 2012

A Week In

Well, we've passed the one week mark and we're sort of settling in a little bit. Life is certainly much simpler here and things move at a much slower pace. At this point, we're still battling some fatigue and sleep is not totally regulated. We're not sure which part of that is jet lag vs. transition issues vs. malaria meds. We really don't care what's causing it, we just want it to get better!

Today we reached a big milestone, one that I've been afraid of, but I'm so glad we've conquered it. We went shopping. All of us. Without someone who knows the ropes accompanying us. And we came back alive, with most of what we set out to get. It was a very productive trip (by West African standards). At this point I think that anytime you find more than 50% of your list without plowing over a motorcyclist, that's a win. Of course, with our assorted skin colors and our big family, we got plenty of stares, but we made it. I feel so empowered.

Okay, maybe not empowered. Honestly I am struggling a little bit with exhaustion and I have to wonder if it takes so much energy just to feed our family, how will we ever learn what we need to learn to do what we really came here to do. Then I remember that we've only been here a week, I talk to the Lord a little bit, I hide in the bathroom, and then I come out and make it through the next few hours. It's a beautiful pattern I've fallen into. But it's working, for now. I just keep reminding myself of other times when we've lived in survival mode and how I've seen that if I'm just faithful to keep putting one foot in front of the other while clinging to the Lord, there always comes a day when I realize we're not just surviving anymore. I'm trusting this time will be no different.

Yesterday I faced another one of my fears. House help. Shh, for some reason, it's something that people don't like to talk about. It seems sort of taboo, but it's a reality that I've been able to learn more about as I've gotten closer and closer to the "inner circle" of African expats. I think it seems so decadent, the idea of house help. Especially for someone who is in our line of work. You know, someone who is supposed to be sacrificing so many worldly things. Let me just tell you folks, it's not a luxury here in West Africa. Every day that we're here, Ryan and I are more convinced that surrendering a portion of our salary to fund someone to help us survive is not a luxury, it's wisdom. Nonetheless, I was worried about having another lady in my house all day. Especially while I was trying to homeschool.

It was a silly thing to worry about. It's obvious that it's going to be a good thing. I am blessed that the gal who will be helping us has been with other families doing similar work for nearly 20 years. She knows how to get the harmattan dust off of my floors. She saw the blackening bananas on the counter and asked me if she could make banana bread. Then she laughed at my puny Pampered Chef roller and sent Abby next door to borrow a real rolling pin so that she could make us fresh flour tortillas, which we used for lunch today. She is pushing me to use my language, even though she speaks good English. We're going to be really blessed to have her around.

There is so much more to share. Every day is filled with challenges that I never would face in America. They often times result in a good laugh or cry, depending on my frame of mind. At the same time, there is a freedom and a beauty here that is precious. Ryan and I keep having these "I can't believe this is our life" moments. I've got some photos I'd love to share, but the internet is not going to cooperate tonight, so I will tell more of our story another day.

For now, I will ask you to pray about 2 specific things:
1. We are so thankful that all of our paperwork arrived safely from Canada, what an answer to prayer! Tomorrow Ryan will travel to the capitol city to try and retrieve our passports and get our visa mess straightened out. Please pray for favor, safety, etc.
2. Pray that we will be able to develop better sleep patterns. We have 2 kiddos who are really struggling and they're having some vivid dreams when they do sleep. This can be a result of the malaria meds, so we need wisdom and discernment about how to conquer all of it.

Thank you so much for all of your prayers and words of encouragement. I truly believe that your support and encouragement has been a big part of our first week here being so incredibly smooth!


5 comments:

Melisa said...

Just took time to pray...specifically for your needs.

Unknown said...

Christy, I'm so proud of you!!! You're handling all your frustrations, new experiences, exhausting just as you should - running to the Lord, even if it is in the bathroom!! Gotta have that privacy wherever you can find it! Just keep holding on to Him, as I know you are. And I think I told you that the whole reason we adjusted as well as we did our first term - kiddos and all - and learned the language as well as we did was our precious house help. They are true angels!!! Praying for you, sister, and missing you ALL!

Unknown said...

OOPs - previous comment was me, Patti - in New West.

Sandra B said...

Have thought of you guys all day! HANG ON...I can't say it gets better but with some "house help", it will get better.I would gladly have paid for another "house helper" for our children this last visit. Of course, they didn't have any children for 1 1/2 yrs there so they were more adjusted....well, until they decided to have 3 children in 9 months!!! I get so tired just thinking about it. As I have been praying for the last year what God wants Tommy and I to do in our "golden year"...but I feel almost certain he isn't calling us to Africa - except to visit and love and take American food to our children in Uganda!! Hope both sets of parents/grandparents get to visit you. As hard as it is, it is necessary...so get ready for the mamas and the papas!!! Ha..... Mama Boone

Jenny said...

I am keeping you in my prayers. Said one as I read. I love you guys.